Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is There A Way To Operate Without Router Connection

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AnthonyBrown
Follower
Follower

I;m contemplating buying a 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 but I;m confused over the following points:: 1. The advantages of the VMS4230P over the VMS4230 considering the cost difference.. 2. The manual (which I downloaded) states (section 3 page 30) that recording must be to both the cloud and USB however in the same 2 paragraphs it states if the router disconnects recording will only continue on the USB, Can I operate the system without the internet? 3. what (precautions) actions are recommended to deter the thief of a camera?

2 REPLIES 2
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

The VMS4230P is the Arlo Pro 2 and the VMS4230 is the Arlo Pro. The main diffrence is that the Arlo Pro 2 has 1080P and the Arlo Pro has 720P. You can compare the 2 at this site Arlo Products

compare.png

Truth be told I have yet to try and operate the Arlo Pro 2 without internet,  and I have yet to have a drop in my internet connection or the Arlo Pro 2 droping an internet connection. If you use the USB make sure you have a high capacity USB stick (the base station can use up to 2TB USB stick). You will need an internet connection in order to set up your account and the cameras\base station.

As far as deterring a thief from taking the camera your best bet is to mount them up high which is what I did and they would need a ladder to get them. In the end if someone really wants something they will find a way to get it.

Mount I used was Outdoor Security Mount
Power connection I used Outdoor Power Adapter
I did not get this but you could also get Anti-Theft Security Chain

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You should realize that the USB option is simply a backup in case the Internet connection is dropped. You have to unmount the USB drive and use a computer to see what's recorded. ALso, when the Internet connection is restored, the videos on the USB drive do NOT get uploaded to the cloud. The cloud is the primary mechanism for videos and the USB drive is definitely secondary.

ALso, disconnecting from the Internet makes configuration changes impossible - the whole system is cloud-based.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation