Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I'm Done. Returned my Arlo system after two months and not working properly

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SquirrelyGinger
Tutor
Tutor

Like the subject says, I am done. Base + 3 Pro 2 cameras boxed up, Base + 6 cameras boxed up. Already got the return auth and return labels.

Why? Glad you asked.

Initial Problem during install, I need an account. Nope, can't create account through app. Have to create on desktop (then why is app option there?). Oops. Can't create on desktop, issue with Netgear / Arlo. Wait...Wait...Wait...finally able to create account.

Base wireless interfered with my wifi. Nope, can't turn this off or even change on base. So, I reconfigured my hardware and all slaves to the new and updated settings. Only took a few hours, Samsung M20xx series printers are the worst to configure, btw.

Camera 1- front door. Wifi signal meter doesn't work during installation. Despite being Very close (couple feet perhaps) from base, no signal. Very far, no signal. 12 feet from base at install location, nope. 50 feet from base at alternate install location, nope. Used another camera, exact same results. 2nd camera from 3 pack (Same lot #?) Call to TS yields "Dont worry about that, it will work".

Intermittent problems with camera not being connected when trying to look at via app. Difficult playing clips when off wifi and trying to use 3rd party wifi or 3G/4G/LTE data path. TS indicates to "shutdown and restart phone". I later discovered that going into airplane mode (all radios off) and back yields a change in IP# and then I can access account and clips regularly.

Not getting notifications of events from camera, though clips are present. Something is bad wrong with USB ports on base. Connect a drive, base wants to format it, afterwards is available and still the base won't save clips to it locally. TS says that subscription is required for continuous video AND clips. W...T...F...

After conversational post on this board, I called back TS, who is this time ADAMANT they get a serial number, but I won't give just yet. Asked if I am able to switch bases from the 6 cam and 3 cam system. Of course. So I did.

Same USB problems. 4TB drive, 2 TB drive, 2GB flash drive, 4GB flash drive, 500GB USB drive. All trashed by the bases. Yep, both of them. Drives require low level format (not easy to do) and re-initialize to recreate partition table and be able to format. Decided what would happen if I switched back to 3 cam base, and connected the 3 cams to it. Perhaps something would change if operating in "Packaged" configuration. Never even made it that far.

When plugged in 1 of the cameras into the Netgear supplied adapter using the Netgear supplied usb cable I get a message thrown that it is connected with something along the lines of "Unofficial or Unauthorized (I forget which) charger".

Enough is enough. I am done with it. Had system for nearly 2 months now, hasn't worked properly from day 1, and unless I subscribe to stupidplan then I don't have tech support available.

My confidence in Netgear / Arlo is nonexistent that problems will ever be resolved. The overall experience appears to be quite buggy. Just ask users of AT&T. I am not wiling to gamble anymore. If I have to re-pull RG178/6 all throughout the house I will do it gladly than attempt another go with Arlo.

On the upside, I must have the only package of cameras that can work through glass. At least 1 camera. But not for long.

1 REPLY 1
Dannybear
Master
Master

Sounds like you’ve had a real gut full so can understand your frustration and the final outcome. All the best moving forward.

For those that will likely follow after similar situations, I would like to say that the forum environment is a great place to seek assistance from those that can help.

What I would like to see here is more arlo savvy experts who are willing to be more approachable so that users don’t feel they have fallen through the gaps.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation