Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I Have Very Bad Video Quality

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor

I think I'm going to have to return my 5 camera's this weekend.
Video zoomed even at 3x is very poor, how the f*ck can I give the police something that looks so awful??
$600?? For crap?
A $100 junk phone can get a better capture than these, and no it's not due to WiFi or distance. This particular camera is 20 feet from the base and router.
This is VERY unacceptable, considering I have 1 cheap camera that no longer records(Closoli) and gets good captures at 10x.
Thank you, very p*ssed

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Do you have it on Best Video for video quality? It doesn't look like it

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, I know how to set it up
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You also realize that 1080p is 2 megapixels, right? You are trying to compare to a cellphone camera which is well above that for even cheap phones. Resample one of their images to 2MP and see how they look. 

Then add in the fact that these are 130 degree fisheye lenses, very unlike phone camera lenses. Each pixel takes in a much wider view so the detail isn't there - you need a longer focal length that gives a narrower FOV to be able to compare. Download some fisheye lens photos, resample them to 2MP, and try zooming in to see hwo much detail you get in a small area.

Finally, add in the compression used by Arlo to minimize upload bandwidth as well as storage requirements. When you resample those fisheye photos, be sure to save them with enough compression to equalize what Arlo provides.

Understanding the complexities and physics of this makes it clear that there are design considerations that have to be met and compromises to be made.

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
I completely disagree with your analogy of a a $600+ system having poor choices made for a security system.
If zoom is poor due to compression, fisheye, and ignorance of using 2mp camera sensors, then they should have sold ANY of them using zoom. These camera's can't be right in someone's face if they break in, so whst we see is people stealing (nice shoes, pants, and coat) but extremely limited on facial features.
Police cant make an arrest based solely on what a person wears, if YOU can't get a decent facial pick, YOUR screwed.
Buyer Beware, spend the extra $300 and get a wired system that utilize 5mp cameras with great zoom (sorry you don't want wires running all over the damn place, but ARLO, drops the ball again).
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess your other option is an Arlo Ultra 4K camera but there are obviously other concerns around cost as well as internet speed/data allowance that need to be considered

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@marcrnsm wrote:
Buyer Beware, spend the extra $300 and get a wired system that utilize 5mp cameras with great zoom (sorry you don't want wires running all over the damn place, but ARLO, drops the ball again).

Or, more likely, you didn't research the various systems and compare them to your needs and neglected the physics and complexities involved.  The onus is on your anus.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation