Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've got an Arlo Pro 2 that I decided to run A/C power to so I could take advantage of the features that are only available when it is on A/C. I feel like I'm missing something. The camera only switches to A/C when it needs to charge the battery, and when I remove the battery the camera will not work. How do I get it to run on A/C?

14 REPLIES 14
rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

I not running my Arlo Pro2 on A/C, but do intend to and have tested in indoors with the Arlo supplied power adapter that's included with the cameras.

In my testing, once the battery was fully charged, the blue LED indicator on the front of the camera was lit (that can be turned off/disabled), and the icon on the camera (in the app) indicated that it was connected to A/C power, and the 3 sec. lookback feature was working.

Are you using an Arlo power supply and cable, or an 3rd party? I've read that 3rd party power supplies don't work.

I also discovered that even though it's on A/C power, it still relies on the PIR Motion sensor to detect motion rather than using changes in the camera image, which was quite disappointing. 

pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes, I am using the cord and adapter that came with the camera.  What I've seen is similar to what you said except that once the battery is charged it switches back over to running on the battery and the 3 second look-back an motion zones are not available.  When I go to setup a new zone the app says that the camera is not running on A/C power so I cannot setup a motion zone.

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

try removing the batterie and just plug in the cord and adapter.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that this past week-end, but the camera would not turn on.

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

ether you tried to jam USB connection in the wrong way or the cable\adapter is faulty or even the connection on the camera is faulty. Do you have another camera to test the cable and adapter?

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately I only have this one camera.  I would think that if the cable or adapter were faulty that it would fail randomly.  It seems like it only disconnects from A/C once the battery is charged.

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

Make sure you have the latest firmware updates on the camera and base station and that you're using the latest app.

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also, are you sure you have an Arlo Pro "2" camera and not an Arlo Pro.

pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it is the Arlo Pro 2.  I've actually seen the 3 send look-back and activity zones work when it is running on A/C power.

pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

No updates are showing available for either, so I assume that means they're up-to-date.

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have you tried reseting the base station?

I just noticed that the camera I was testing on A/C power yesturday, now say's "To enable Activity Zones, please connect your device to A/C power" (It's on battery right now)... even though I have the "Arlo Smart" plan which includes Activity Zones, and none of my other cameras show that message.

So maybe the cameras have problems moving from battery power to A/C and back again?

pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's what I was thinking.  I'm actually glad to hear someone else has seen this.  So your other cameras are Pro 2 cameras but they're working on A/C?

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

No... I have a mix of Pro2 and Original Arlo cameras.

Because I'm using Arlo Smart Premier (currently in the 1 month free trial), it offers cloud based Activity Zones for any Arlo camera. Basicly, camera still takes video based on all motion and sends it to the cloud. Within the cloud the video is anaylized to determine if the motion was in the set zones. If the motion is in the set "Activity Zones" the video is retained and you get a notification... If not the video is deleted and no notification is sent.

What I'm saying is, that feature is no longer working on the camera I was testing on A/C power yesturday... instead it's asking me to connect it to A/C power to activate "Activity Zones"... Which is avalible on all my other battery powered cameras as an Arlo Smart Premier subscriber.

pbbgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know it has been rebooted, but not recently.  This has been a problem ever since I hooked it up though (4 months now).  I'll give it a try

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation