Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Barnina
Follower
Follower

I got my Arlo pro 2 for Christmas and now all of a sudden a red circle with a white Shield and a red ! Appeared.  I only have the base plan.  How do I delete this icon?

8 REPLIES 8
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Barnina wrote:

I got my Arlo pro 2 for Christmas and now all of a sudden a red circle with a white Shield and a red ! Appeared.  I only have the base plan.  How do I delete this icon?

I doubt you can delete it.  That is where you access e911 and Call a Friend also.  It doesn’t hurt anything and even if you touch is by accident, there is a second level menu that keeps you from doing any of those functions accidentally from the Devices screen.  This is an improvement IMHO from the prior implementation.

DRstjames
Tutor
Tutor
The red shield is very distracting. I don't want to upgrade from the basic plan and an mad that I have to keep seeing this stupid thing. How to delete???
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't. Ignore it.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It is annoying and unnecessary.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
We all see it. Even those of us who pay for a premium plan.

There are far more important issues with the app and it does offer important functionality for those who use it. It is actually less of a problem now than it was when it was a band across the entire top of the screen.
olimondo
Aspirant
Aspirant
+1 vote for ability to turn off / remove the shield icon. If not using this service it is annoying when always present in full screen view.
IamBobbert
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree. A dev should not force items you may not want to view or BUY on you in a continued attempt to get subscription money from the user. For those of you that like it, that's fine. No doubt it was a godsend for you folks. I hope you may agree with every Devs choice to force you to view something that is purposefully designed to draw your eyes to it every time you open the screen.  For all of those that post the hurrahs for this, why not open your closed mind and realize that just because you like it does not mean the everybody will like it! Contrary to what you may think, it is not all about you and what you want and to heck with everybody else. The "ignore it" and "live with it" comments are no doubt from well-meaning folks (or not) but it demonstrates what I am talking about. It is my way or the highway. Instead of trying to work together they steadfastly believe theirs is the only path, no compromises.

How about supporting the notion of pleasing everybody and ask Arlo to give an option to turn on/off this button. And please don't ask me what good that would do.

So how about it Arlo, is an on/off button viable? Or do you to still want to continue to upset and annoy users for subscription monies that are not interested in paying or don't see the value in your offer.

Let the Flames Begin

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@IamBobbert wrote:

I agree. A dev should not force items you may not want to view or BUY on you in a continued attempt to get subscription money from the user. For those of you that like it, that's fine. No doubt it was a godsend for you folks. I hope you may agree with every Devs choice to force you to view something that is purposefully designed to draw your eyes to it every time you open the screen.  For all of those that post the hurrahs for this, why not open your closed mind and realize that just because you like it does not mean the everybody will like it! Contrary to what you may think, it is not all about you and what you want and to heck with everybody else. The "ignore it" and "live with it" comments are no doubt from well-meaning folks (or not) but it demonstrates what I am talking about. It is my way or the highway. Instead of trying to work together they steadfastly believe theirs is the only path, no compromises.

How about supporting the notion of pleasing everybody and ask Arlo to give an option to turn on/off this button. And please don't ask me what good that would do.

So how about it Arlo, is an on/off button viable? Or do you to still want to continue to upset and annoy users for subscription monies that are not interested in paying or don't see the value in your offer.

Let the Flames Begin

Just to be clear, the Alarm/e911 button does not ever go away no matter which plan you buy or don't buy, so it is not a penalty for not buying something.  

I totally agree that having buttons like this configurable would be a good idea.  However, Arlo engineers just eliminated control over Geofencing notifications, so it appears they are working to remove configuration control rather than delivering a consistent architecture that offers configuration choices whenever useful and possible.

For me a MUCH bigger problem is the limited functionality this Alarm/e911 button represents.  It appears to be aimed at users who monitor only a single system at a single physical location.  We can turn on "the" alarm or Call e911.

I have 4 Arlo Pro base stations monitored on my app.  Which alarm will go off?  All of them ... at three different physical locations?  I also have one original Arlo base, one MR1100 LTE router that operates as a base and 7 Arlo Q cameras monitoring 4 physical locations in all.  If I hit "Call e911" it would only work for the one location that Arlo allows us to configure in the app.  So in the anxious moments between observing an intruder and pressing the button to call for help, users have to stop and think..."Is this camera at the location that is registered for e911 calling?"

So yes.  Making this button optional would be helpful for more than one reason.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation