Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to improve video quality?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Scooby8523
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently purchased the Arlo Pro 2 and the image is quite grainy and pixelated.. I have checked the settings and they are already set to "Best Video".. Is there any way to fix this? Please help I really want to keep these cameras.. Thank you ahead of time
7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master
Lighting has a large impact on the picture quality.

I expect that the grain and pixelation is the issue you have for night vision correct?

The Infrared LEDs will only work for a short distance so if you’re trying to see your whole yard at night it is likely not going to give you what you expect especially if you have annoying street lights in the distance.

You may want to increase the ambient lighting of the area you want to view.

As the infrared detection is limited to about 25ft anyway consider positioning the camera to view what is important such as entryways etc.

Night vision has a slower frame rate so the pixelation will be worse for moving objects.
Scooby8523
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh no, at night it's even worse. But I was not referring to the night vision. My issue is simply always. Doesn't matter if its day or night. The video is always very grainy and pixelated.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot or a link to a video.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has Arlo increased the size of the sensor when they increased the resolution ? My old Arlo cameras have better image quality than my higher resolution Pro cameras.  When you increase resolution, the size of each pixel becomes very small and they struggle to capture enough light.  In particular at night.  Is this a design issue with the higher resolution cameras ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Given the sizes of the various cameras, I suspect that the sensor size has remained the same or nealy the same. Also factor in the wider FOV of the newer (Pro, etc.) cameras and both the increased resolution and FOV work to the detriment of night videos in particular. Many people have noted the better night vision of the Pro vs Pro 2 cameras as a result.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Little point increasing resolution if the picture is worse.  My version one cameras have better video than my PRO camera.  And if PRO is better than PRO2 then video quality is inversely proportional to cost.

Marketing like big resolution numbers even if they make video quality worse.

If this is the direction for Arlo it may be time to move on.  I am pretty fed up with the defects that do not get fixed and gaps that remain unresolved for years.  While marketing chase idiot resolution numbers that make the cameras worse.

Product Management need a good spanking.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My Pro-series cameras easily match or exceed the original cameras. You may have bad hardware although more than one being bad is suspect. Have you checked the video settings for the cameras to ensure you're comparing apples and apples?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation