Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to add a second base station? Do I just plug it in to the same network as my original?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
issaquah
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have added a sixth Arlo Pro 2 camera to my home. There is no way to place the base station to give a strong signal to all cameras.

From what I read, the best solution is to add a second base station. But I cannot find HOW to add the second base station or which to use.

I have only Arlo Pro 2 cameras and do not need a siren. Which base station should I use?

Do I just plug it into the same home network as my original station? Does it need to be programmed so the two base stations work together with the six cameras?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You add the 2nd base normally, using the Add New Device selection on the Devices card. Yes, you plug it into your home network, whether directly to your router or via a WiFi or powerline extender (a mesh network would allow you to use a satellite). However, you then have to remove the camera(s) with the weak signal and sync them to the new base. Make sure you position the base so these cameras have a good signal, hence the suggestion to use an extender.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You add the 2nd base normally, using the Add New Device selection on the Devices card. Yes, you plug it into your home network, whether directly to your router or via a WiFi or powerline extender (a mesh network would allow you to use a satellite). However, you then have to remove the camera(s) with the weak signal and sync them to the new base. Make sure you position the base so these cameras have a good signal, hence the suggestion to use an extender.

issaquah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very helpful!

Question... Are you saying that a second base station can be connected to my home network via WI-FI? I thought I had to use Ethernet to connect. Using wi-fi would make my life much simpler as I have an extensive home wi-fi system.  

Also, which base station would you recommend if I want to connect the base station to the network via wi-fi and I do not need a siren?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The second base still requires Ethernet, just like the first.

But WiFi extenders with Ethernet ports allow you to move the bases where needed.

Out of all the older bases, I like the 4000, it does have a siren but not needed to be use.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
issaquah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your excellent help!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation