How can I improve range?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

my camera is aprox 150 ft in the back yard away from my router in the house. it works sometimes but not always. will a wifi extender help the signal? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

turns out it was the switch that caused the problem, tech came out and removed the switch and plugged the arlo base into my router and it works fine now.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only if you also connect your base to the extender. The camera must connect to the base so what you need to do is to move the base closer to the camera, perhaps via the WiFi extender.

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

Would a newer arlo reach better?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not likely - it's still a WiFi distance thing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Only if you also connect your base to the extender. 

No. As long as the extender is paired with the router, the base can be connected either to the router or the extender. Either way the camera can connect with the base.

You need to place the extender part-way between the router and the camera. There are some outdoor extenders that might work better for this.  Note the extender does need power.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

Only if you also connect your base to the extender. 

No. As long as the extender is paired with the router, the base can be connected either to the router or the extender. Either way the camera can connect with the base.

You need to place the extender part-way between the router and the camera. There are some outdoor extenders that might work better for this.  Note the extender does need power.

That's what I was suggesting. The base is already (likely) connected to the router so the new idea would be to use an extender that's closer to the camera for the base to plug into, providing a stronger signal to the distant camera.

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

ok got that, I have given up trying to use the camera outback. but my base keeps going offline even with my other cameras which are close to the base.  I check the cords upplug then plug back in it works for a while maybe hours or one day then turns amber again. really getting ready to trash the whole system. We have problems in the neighborhood can not take a chance of the cameras not working. the base is not that old.😓

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When the base is "offline" what do the LEDs show?

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

amber flashing,  my internet provider was just here and said we have a modem, a router and a switch thingy, He said get a new router to replace the switch thingy. said get one that arlo base and computer can plug into and it should solve the problem. Can you recommend a particular  router? our house is aprox 1800 sq ft

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Virtually any name brand router will work. My house is the same as yours and happen to use Netgear routers but any other should be fine. Don't go too cheaply but you shouldn't need to spend a fortune, either.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nanlee wrote:

my internet provider was just here and said we have a modem, a router and a switch thingy, 

Can you give manufacturer and model info for all three of these devices?

Not sure why the provider is suggesting to replace the switch or the router (and that might be bad advice).

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

turns out it was the switch that caused the problem, tech came out and removed the switch and plugged the arlo base into my router and it works fine now.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation