Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Help with night vision

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
In my townhome community, the HOA has abruptly changed from halogen, warm yellow streetlights to much brighter 5000k daylight leds. Now my pro2 cameras think it’s daytime 24 hours a day and the night vision doesn’t kick in. Any suggestions (short or shooting the lights out)
5 REPLIES 5
anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post nighttime screenshots from those cameras affected. You may need to rotate the cameras to eliminate the lights from view. Also, if the lights are that much brighter, is there a need for night vision?

anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
I called myself adding screenshots. Click the link at the bottom of each post for before and after pics. Logic would say I shouldn’t need the night vision but with the background light, there’s actually more clarity in night mode, at least in this situation
anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think the difference is that without night vision the camera switches to color which is less sensitive than the B&W night vision (which is why the camera switches to B&W in the first place).

I think your solution will end up repositioning the camera so you can rotate it down more, to eliminate some/most of the external lighting. Since the night vision image you posted shows a bit of brightly lit roof at the bottom, you're going to need to extend the camera out more so the downward tilt doesn't get even more roof in the frame which would fool the autoexposure into a darker exposure.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation