Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing, push notifications, and speaker not working!!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
db_9
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased an Arlo Pro2 6 camera package a month or two ago. I have to say I'm very frustrated with this whole thing. On paper it seems like a really good system. But my god, the problems with the features on this thing are unreal. Can anyone else comment if they are having the same issues?

1. Geofencing: I am the owner and invited my wifes phone to this. She accepted and I can see her phone when I click on the geofencing app. But here is the problem. Lets say I log onto the APP before I leave my house. Then I drive away. I get the notification that I have left the zone. Then my wife leaves 15 minutes later. It will not arm the cameras until she actually logs onto the APP. So it looks like the last person to log onto the APP the geofencing will work for, but the other person has to actually log onto the APP for it to kick in. Very annoying.

2. Push notifications: This seems really sporadic whether it works or not. It will work, then it won't. I will have 10 emails saying it detected motion, but not one push notification.

3. The damn speakers won't work with the Iphone. Yet they work with my wifes Droid phone.

I don't understand why Netgear can't figure this stuff out. I have to pay for the yearly service because after 5 cameras they require this. Just seems like I am paying for a product that doesn't work. I have contacted Netgear and they say their team is working on it. But they never give an ETA on when it will be fixed.

5 REPLIES 5
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello @db_9

• Thank you for providing this detailed information regarding your geofencing scenario. I have one question for you that will help us pinpoint the issue. Does your wife explicitly log out (specifically click log out in the app), or just force close/minimize? 

• For the push notifications, has this always been the case, or did it stop working at a specific point? Do your wife's push notifications work?

• For the speaker issue, can you provide more detail? Is it when you are watching a live stream, using PTT, or in all of these scenarios?

If you could provide the following information, it would be very much appreciated:

iOS version: ex: iOS 11.3

iOS Arlo app version

Thank you in advance for your time!

db_9
Tutor
Tutor

Hi DawnM,

Sorry for the delayed response. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. No my wife does not explicitly log off of the Arlo App. She just closes/minimizes. But the other thing that happens is that if I open the App on my phone and use my thumb print to login, it automatically logs her out of the App. The same happens to me if she logs in. So it appears that you can't have 2 devices logged in at the same time. When this happens it screws up the Geofencing.

2. The push notifications used to work all of the time. But there have been updates to the App which I have downloaded. Now it is very sporadic if they work. I also have the email notifications turned on. So I will check my email and have 8 notifications, but never got even one push notification. I am not sure if my wifes are working. I will have to check on that.

3. I'm not sure what PTT means. But when I am watching the live stream I click on the speaker button. It says to hold the button down and talk. When I do the person at the camera doesn't hear anything. Yet on my wifes Android phone it works fine.

IOS version: IOS 11.4

Arlo App version: 2.5.4

BladeCanyon
Tutor
Tutor

Forget Geofencing.  Overall I have been pleased with my Arlo 5 camera set up for the cost (as opposed to hard wired video cameras and DVR), but Geofencing is one of those things that just doesn't work.  Get used to arming it and disarming it manually, just as you would do for a regular home alarm system.  Plus I like to arm the system when we go to bed.

Someone suggested (a year ago) changing Geofencing so it would be based on whether you were connected to your home Wifi.  That makes a lot more sense than using the location/GPS on your phone.

If they ever fix Geofencing, I'll be the first to cheer.

ambroze72
Tutor
Tutor

I came out here again looking for information on getting geofencing to work but no luck still. I agree, give up on geofencing because Arlo apparently has no clue how to make it work successfully. I have other applications that work perfeclty using geofencing. I give up myself. You may want to look at IFTTT and seach for "Arlo disarm" and "Arlo arm". 

db_9
Tutor
Tutor

I don't understand why they can't get this to work. It can't be that complicated.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation