Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I hope someone could help me with the issue I am facing. I have a 4 cam Arlo Pro2 setup and I use the Geo-fencing mode where Home=Schedule(Armed at night) and Away=Armed. I have added 2 devices (My iphone and My wife's iphone) for geofencing. Both my devices don't have any special characters in the device name.

Everything was working perfectly until last week where the Geo-fencing literally stopped working.

1) While both devices are actually away from the fence, my device would show as 'Out of zone' and my wife's device will show as 'In zone'. Google maps and even Arlo's gefencing map shows my wife's device is out of fence, but the status still stays as 'In zone'.

2) To workaround, I removed my wife's device and added back. This did not work. So I tried removing my wife's device. Now the status of my device is 'Out of zone' but when I enable geofencing and I am actually out of home, the mode gets changed to Armed and immediately switches to Disarmed.

3) While I am at home, the schedule does not turn on. 

Can anyone help me out with this issue? This is so frustrating as I have to manually enable and disable modes.

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iamcrd,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

iamcrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi JamesC,

Thank you for responding. Yes, I tried this obvious workaround and this is how it works for me.

1) Disable all devices

2) Enable primary and set geofencing on

3) Enable secondary while geofencing is on

After the above, the geofencing works for a day and again goes into limbo. And it always is due to secondary device. I am having to repeat this workaround every alternate day. And I can confirm that every setting,device name,etc is fine on the seconday device. Looks like geofencing stutters with multiple devices. However, everything was fine until few weeks ago.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have the exact same issue with geofencing and two devices. Works for two days then it fails. Totally unacceptable.

Pro2, 5 cameras, two iPhone 6s., geofence set to small, no special characters in names. On phone with Netgear tech support level two today, they admit widespread new recent problems with their geofencing. No resolution other than “they are working on the known problem”.
waynerr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have just started having the same issue, began in April. Arlo Pro 2, 2 iPhone 8’s, running latest apps and IOS. Geofencing for my wife’s iPhone is “stuck” on “out of zone”. Was working fine until a few weeks ago.
ChrisR_85
Tutor
Tutor
Apart from geofencing going back to working inconsistently in the last week or so, my system will recognize "home" and "away" but it disregards the mode defined for those statuses. My system gets stuck constantly in "armed" mode even though my home status is set to "scheduled".

Having to manually select armed and disarmed is really frustrating.

Really regretting buying these...
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
If you are using iPhones, remember life360 and ifttt. Ever since I installed those two apps geofencing works perfectly.
Jazzdad52
Guide
Guide
  • RChobby, could you please explain a bit about life360, and ifttt? I don't know what they do, or why needed. Thanks
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Life360 is an iPhone app. It tracks your family (location) very accurately, tells you where everyone is, and when they are in or out of a specified zone. IFTTT (if this then that) is an iPhone app. It can trigger actions that you specify. There are pre-written ifttt “applets” that arm and disarm Arlo, you just pick them from a list. E.g. I have arm and disarm Arlo based on life 360. It works 100% of the time perfectly.
I also made two more ifttt applets, to put “buttons” on my “today” screen on the iPhone (left swipe from home screen). One button is to arm arlo, one to disarm. Very nice to not have to open the Arlo app to arm and disarm. Very fast and convenient.
Jazzdad52
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the help RChobby. The ifttt app looks good, have it running now. I can't find life360 on the App Store, just "life360 church" , "life360 magazine", and a few others with similar names. Doesn't look like any of them are the one you're talking about.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I just searched and it’s there. Put a space between life and 360. The name now has changed to “find my family, friends, phone”, but it is the old “life 360”
Jazzdad52
Guide
Guide

Ok, thanks. I'll look for it right now

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
In ifttt hit the search box then type life360, that will get you there, too
Jazzdad52
Guide
Guide

Got it