Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all,

Would like to know if there any issues with the acquiring location. When I go into the app and edit the geofencing location it always put me in NFLD when I am in Ontario. See picture. It used to work fine before the updated app.

Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Clue2198,

Have you tried to remove & re-install the Arlo Mobile App? What app version are you currently running? Have you tried to reboot the base station?

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did it the same day that I posted my original post. Uninstalled everything and started fresh. Rebooted base station and added all the cameras back.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Clue2198,

What device are you using that is giving you this error? Can you take a screenshot of the error code?

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am using a Glaxay Note 8
As soon as I click the arrow in the bottom right hand corner it find my location. The circle does not indicate my radius around my address.
If I enter my address manually it gives me an "Failed to discover location for given address".
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Clue2198,

Thank You for the screenshot. Have you tried contacting Customer Support regarding the location issue? I have attached the link here - Arlo Tech Support

Psyracusa
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 phones utilize Arlo geofencing. Both Android phones. One is an LG V35 Thinq (running Oreo) and the other a Google Pixel 2 XL (running Pie)

When I set my home location in the app, is fails to detect, so I manually save it. Every time I open geofencing the app thinks I'm in the middle of the ocean. I click on the location icon and it zips over to my actual location. Because thinks I'm in the middle of the ocean, the app is always set to AWAY mode - which is not true.

This is driving me crazy and makes be 2nd guess my decision to purchase this product. 

What good is geofencing if it doesn't work?

I've tried everything. Made sure all the proper location permission settings are correct, etc.

NOTHING WORKS.

ALL my networking products in my home are Netgear. I like Netgear.

This product is an EPIC FAILURE so far.

Please Please Please fix this!

Thank you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that the app requirees the phone's location services. While I could believe that the app may have an issue, I would first start investigating the phone and OS' location services.

Psyracusa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I checked all that - everything is correct. This is really a major bummer.

ChristianDK
Guide
Guide
Same problem here. Shows i am in Southern Africa. Can click on arrow, and it finds the correct place and then click save. Next time its back in Africa. If i try manual, it fails to find location for given adress. Real bummer, if geofencing dosent work, this system is going back to the dealer.
ChristianDK
Guide
Guide
Got it working 😁 Push the arrow to find yourself, then zoom in with 2 fingers on the map. Now you can type the adress, and it will find you. So, just zoom in with 2 fingers was the solution. Strange its not explainded anyware i manuals, that you med to be zommed totaly in before the adress typing.
Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ChristianDK

Glad it worked for you. I followed your instructions and clicked the arrow. Used 2 fingers to zoom in on my address and then typed my addy in. Still could not locate.

😢
ChristianDK
Guide
Guide
Hm thats odd. I was zoomed in so close, my house was clearly visible, first then the adress was found. Have you tryed other houses in your neigborhood?. I was online with chat helpdesk, while i was trying different solutions on my own waiting for them to ansver. Told the helpdesk about my solution, they havent heard it before..
Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
Uummmmm OK!? Some thing was done, last night, I think. So I was playing around with the geofencing settings this morning and trying ChristianDK's suggestion again, but I was going to be funny and use the white house address. Then all of a stunned the green circle popped up around my real address.

Now just to see if it actually works.

To be continued.....

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW, I still manually enter my address and it still gives me the "FAILED TO DISCOVER LOCATION FOR GIVEN ADDRESS" msg

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW the manually entering stills gives me error msg

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Clue2198,

Just to make sure, did you make sure that you gave permission to the Arlo app to detect your location? I would suggest to try disabling and re-enabling the location permission through your phone settings to see if that helps.

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
They are all enabled.
Not sure why the app requires some of these permissions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Is this happening when you are on WiFi or cellular data? 

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is happening on both.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Let me create a case for you so our support team can help you out with your Arlo app that's not recognizing your phone location. I have sent you a PM to gather more information.

Miagi
Tutor
Tutor

Im a bit frustrated with the GeoFencing.

At the moment, if i look under the  "Geofencing page" on the Arlo App, I shows my position right in the middle of the zone I selected....  but when i go to "enabled devices", my iphone is listet as "Out of zone".... that does not really make sence to me! - How can the same App show my phone as "In Zone" on one page and "out of zone" on another!?

I have an iPhoneX, the app is setup to always have access to my location, I keep the app runnning etc..

Can anyone help me getting this to work ?

Best regards 

Ole

As a sidenote: I tried contacting Arlo´s Chat support from my pc..  funny enough, chat support was listet as "available", but when I entered it says "welcome to Arlo Chat support "Live Chat not available"   deJaVu 🙂

Clue2198
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is getting ridiculous. Whatever you guys are doing it's not going well.
When I turn on geofencing it shows me in the middle of the Indian Ocean with the green circle around it. I press the arrow it finds me. I enter my address. It cannot located the address.
I do have to say that the green circle did work for a few weeks prior to this and this is why I dis not pursue it
But it's happening again.
Using a Galaxay Note 8 and Galaxy S8
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I had problems with this also.  I was directed to remove my device(s) from those used for geofencing, then log out of Arlo and force-close the app on all of my devices.  After that, re-open and login to the app and set up your device again for geofencing.  This helped me at least a bit.  I think it still has problems when I'm away and my wife is home or vice versa.  The sytem stays armed even though one of us was in zone.  But at least it knew my wife's phone was in-zone everywhere I looked rather than "unknown" in some areas and in or out of zone in other areas.

Miagi
Tutor
Tutor

Will try that, was told by arlo support, that their engineers were aware of the issue, and was working on a fix 

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation