Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

For the next developed outdoor camera - add selective Alarm volume

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

In a fairly dense urban setting, using the alarm in an outside Arlo camera to scare away animals is way too loud - especially at night. It is loud enough to wake up the entire neighborhood and probably cause the police to come banging on my door! I would suggest at least 3 prefixed volume settings: low, medium, high. Although maybe 4 settings would be best. Even during the daytime the alarm is way too loud in an urban setting unless the situation is indeed dire. Again: low, medium, loud volume settings would be very helpful.

These settings would be for each individual camera - not a global account/base station or service setting.

8 REPLIES 8
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @BlueHorse,

Are you saying that you want your siren volume to be lower when the camera is triggered? If so, you can adjust it through the mode/rules. You can read here on how to adjust the volume: How do I create a rule that includes a siren trigger?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@BlueHorse wrote:

In a fairly dense urban setting, using the alarm in an outside Arlo camera to scare away animals is way too loud

Does the alarm siren sound through cameras now? AFAIK, it's only in the base station

BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

For the Arlo Pro 2 camera - the siren sound comes from the camera.

BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

Within the Arlo (iOS) application, Mode, Armed, <camera>, Edit Rule screen - there is NO option/setting to control siren volume. Note that the usage situation is when pressing the ALARM button in a live-view screen.

BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

Well - I stand corrected: the alarm siren is NOT emitted from the Arlo Pro 2 camera (sigh!).

BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

Are you saying that you want your siren volume to be lower when the camera is triggered? If so, you can adjust it through the mode/rules. You can read here on how to adjust the volume: How do I create a rule that includes a siren trigger?

These instructions do not work for my Arlo Pro base station nor Arlo Pro/Pro2 cameras that I have: Arlo application, Mode, <base station>, Modes (Armed, Disarmed, Schedule, Geofencing), Alarmed, Rules, <camera>, Edit Mode - no Siren option present.

Base station: VMB4000r3

BlueHorse
Guide
Guide

As I was testing a camera that was in the same room as the base station for siren effects with the base station next to me - the siren volume was obviously somewhat painful. Because of the proximity of the two devices I incorrectly assumed that the sound was emitted by the camera. Now that I know better, my request for controlling alarm volume is no longer an issue and can be relegated to the "obscure archive dump".

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@BlueHorse wrote:
These instructions do not work for my Arlo Pro base station nor Arlo Pro/Pro2 cameras that I have: Arlo application, Mode, <base station>, Modes (Armed, Disarmed, Schedule, Geofencing), Alarmed, Rules, <camera>, Edit Mode - no Siren option present.

Use the Add Device selection when editing your rules.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation