Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Enabling motion Zones with solar panels

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Moby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I find it quite frustrating that I bought 2 solar panels and my motion zones still do not function without direct AC. To me this seems it would be a software issue that could be corrected with new programming and a software update. Has anyone else found this frustrating that our system is supposed to be wireless, but an important feature only functions when plugged in?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Solar panels are not AC power nor do they provide enough current to run the camera continuously which is what's needed for zones (and other advanced features) to work. The panels are basically trickle chargers for the battery, not a true power source.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Solar panels are not AC power nor do they provide enough current to run the camera continuously which is what's needed for zones (and other advanced features) to work. The panels are basically trickle chargers for the battery, not a true power source.

Moby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I thought the zones feature was only to sense motion and not continuously record video, but record when it senses motion in the zone?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The P2 uses pixel detection differently from the Q camera. For the P2, the PIR sensor detects motion, which also works with battery power, but then uses the pixel detection to not only define zones but also to provide the 3 second look-back, which requires the camera to be streaming the whole time (which also enables the possibility of subscribing to CVR). That's why the camera has to be plugged in, since the battery would be quickly depleted.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation