Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
TrippaSnippa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Title pretty much says it all, if wifi goes down would the Arlo Pro 2 store alerts, then send them when it reconnects, or simply not send them? Thanks! Model number is VMS4230P, it wouldn’t let me put that in above for some reason.

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you have a USB drive attached, it will store all videos on the USB drive as well as storing in the cloud. If your internet connection is lost, only the USB backups will exist. When the internet is restored, the backups are not sync'd to the cloud. To watch the videos on the USB drive, eject it and plug it into a computer and use VLC to watch the clips

TrippaSnippa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you! Do you know if any email or mobile alerts triggered during the time it was offline would send once internet comes back on?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, they're not stored any place. You have to eject the USB drive and review any videos to see if there's anything of interest.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

Nope, they're not stored any place. You have to eject the USB drive and review any videos to see if there's anything of interest.

This is an "area of opportunity" for Arlo.  I find the current functionality nearly useless.  If I am remote from the system, I get no notification that something was recorded locally and I have no ability to interrogate the USB recordings without removing the USB device from the base and attaching it to a computer.  The "correct" implementation of this functionality for my needs would be to have the recordings synchronized with the cloud servers soon after network connectivity is restored and to have a specific notification describing the period of outage and the number of recordings that will be uploaded now that the network connection is functional.  This is outstanding potential functionality that is currently untapped and mostly useless IMHO.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

The 2 selling points for me to arlo pro system is 7 days online for free and built in usb storage ability.

Your suggestion to sync the 2 is interesting and would be nice.   But I would add; do not do a 2 way sync, because I have (for example) a 2Tb usb drive which will hold probably a year of clips.  I dont want a full sync where my usb would be reduced to 7 days.   So there would be come complexity to this request, but if thought out and well designed, this would be an excelent additional feature/selling point.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Dave32B wrote:

The 2 selling points for me to arlo pro system is 7 days online for free and built in usb storage ability.

Your suggestion to sync the 2 is interesting and would be nice.   But I would add; do not do a 2 way sync, because I have (for example) a 2Tb usb drive which will hold probably a year of clips.  I dont want a full sync where my usb would be reduced to 7 days.   So there would be come complexity to this request, but if thought out and well designed, this would be an excelent additional feature/selling point.

Agree...one way synch only.  USB can be the deep archive, but recent recordings should be available in the app where there are tools for linking them chronologically and in groups of cameras via multi-select filters.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation