Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does Arlo Solar Panel drain battery?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
motorhomingforl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hooked the Arlo solar panel to one of my cameras.  It seemed to charge it fine at first.  Then it reached 99%.  It would not go to 100% charge.  I checked the battery level 2 hours later and it was at 95% and the camera had no events whatsoever and has never drained that fast.  So my question is ... Does the solar panel actually drain some of the battery?  FYI ... it was sunny all day.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not supposed to but there have been reports of this. If you need, swap at the store or open a case with support here.

Idprint
Guide
Guide

Yes, in my experience, Solar Panels are hit & miss.

Model # VMS4430P Arlo Pro 2 with 4+1 HD camera
Installed all 5 without issues & used to get at least 1 to 1.5 months until charging batteries. However, 3 are high up & painful to get down, hence I bought 3 x Arlo Solar Panels to plug into.
Just to ensure I had set it up correctly after seeing issues on this forum
I removed all batteries from the cameras, waited 10 minutes, & then replaced the batteries
I charged ALL 5 cameras to 100%.
I disconnected the base station, & re-started
Relinked the cameras to the station
Installed as per previous positions
All cameras have the same default settings
The cameras I plugged the solar panels into now lose charge at a frighting rate. 1 day, down to average 53%. This includes charging in bright sunlight ALL DAY. The solar panels do not increase the charge??? But all show charging icon. All solar panels orientated at the high point of the sun and are on an unobstructed roof. All cameras plugged into the Arlo solar panels exhibiting the same behaviour. The other cameras are still at close to 100%.
Removed the solar panels from all 3 & recharged the cameras back to 100%. Left overnight & next day with no solar panels connected, after 2 days, still showing 98%+

Experiment 1
Bought all 5 cameras back in & recharged all to 100%
Placed all cameras back out with only on connected to solar panel
Left for 48 hours
All cameras not plugged into solar panel read, 99%, 97%, 98%, 96%.
The one plugged into the solar panel is 56%

Experiment 2
Removed batteries & reset cameras
Charged 2 cameras to 100%
Placed both with default settings & PLACED BOTH SIDE BY SIDE
One had no solar connected
One had solar connected

After 24 hours
Camera with no solar power, 98%
Camera with solar power 51%
Mostly sunny day

Experiment 3
As per experiment 2 but swapped to another solar panel
After 24 hours
Camera with no solar power, 97%
Camera with solar power 54%
Mostly sunny day

Contacted Arlo & they sent out a return self addressed satchel & I returned one of the solar panels. Within 1 week I had a new Solar Panel to try. Plugged in 1 camera with the new solar panel and right next to it a camera with the old solar panel. Both cameras 100%
2 days & Camera with the new solar panel was 100%, the camera with the old solar panel down to 31% battery
The “new” replacement solar panel direct from Arlo had an older serial number than the 3 solar panels I had originally bought. Can’t believe all 3 Solar Panels I originally bought were defective.
I thought the issues were with firmware, but it seems that there is a hardware issue that allows the Solar Panels to drain the batteries

Returned both old solar panels to JB Hi-Fi & are awaiting replacement Solar Panels.
Will be interesting to see if the 2 replacement panels will both work

Kwd001
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. Thanks I’ll return to Best Buy and hope for the best
Idprint
Guide
Guide

After troubleshooting, had to take all my old Solar Panels back to the retailer to get new ones. The old ones retailed at AUD$79, the new ones are now AUD$149. The new ones have more & better fittings but look the same both in size & looks. Best of all, they all work as they are supposed to. I think they must have changed suppliers

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation