Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distorted Video

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JTD9046
Tutor
Tutor
Brand new and wired for power. Can this be troubleshooted?
13 REPLIES 13
JTD9046
Tutor
Tutor
Terrific.... forum errors out every time I’m trying to attach a file.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Can you describe the distortion instead?
I have only been able to attach still shoots to the forum.
JTD9046
Tutor
Tutor
The image starts clear for a half a second, then quickly becomes thousands of square like pixels. Makes the distorted image appear almost as if the camera is panning right to left and then jolting back to the original position.

When taking a still image during the feed, the still images are crystal clear.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, seems to be the same as I get on my cameras that are externally powered.
It will eventually get worse and you will likely have no live view working.
Work around is to toggle the power management settings on the camera under video settings. This is only a temporary fix until it occurs again.

Can you contact support and open a case.
JTD9046
Tutor
Tutor
Nailed the workaround. Thank you!

I will open a case.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
Can you describe the distortion instead?
I have only been able to attach still shoots to the forum.

Post a link to a video instead of trying to embed it. Use the Share icon when viewing a video and paste the link here. The link will only work for 24 hours.

Dannybear
Master
Master
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wow! At first I thought you were walking around with the camera. If it does the same thing when placed near the base or when swapped with another camera I'd say you have a bad camera that needs to be replaced.

I've had pixelation but nothing like that.

JTD9046
Tutor
Tutor
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Very odd. Have you guys tried removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync? How about rebooting the base?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
Yes, performed all of the usual reloading, resetting, swapping cameras and power supplies and a few other things.

The issue is partly location, in that it occurs mostly when the camera is low on signal say two bars.

It is intermittent in that it can work fine for a few weeks then occur each day for the next week.

The issue only occurs if the camera is cabled, if mains power is turned off and using battery it works ok.

The issue I believe is the camera’s encoder hiccuping as the video I Frames are clean but the prediction data is corrupted.

If the pixelation issue is allowed to persist it will eventually become not viewable by the live viewer that eventually times out.

You will still have access to the camera video settings where you can toggle the Power management settings to reset the video encoder.

This issue has been with me since November last year. Posted here in late December and reported to support.

Level two support are engaged and I have seen at least four other posts about the same pixelation issue here on the forum.

I expect that it will eventually be sorted in firmware but I hope that they can work on my other issues concurrently.
jjacksonj
Aspirant
Aspirant
The color is picture is distorted on one of my cameras. Any guidance or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Note my other cameras are fine. Thanks
Dannybear
Master
Master
Does it look similar to this recording I just made.
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/77B0C94377A14012_201904

If so go into the camera’s video settings and wait for the thumbnail to update, then live view again to see if it is fixed.
Contact support to escalate the issue as it will recur randomly.
The camera will still detect motion but the recordings will be unusable. If you leave it long enough the video will eventually stop and so no recordings will be made.
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation