Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Dear Netgear (James C)

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Cflocation
Star
Star

First off there is much I love about ther Arlo Pro 2 

1. Three seconds back when plugged in.

2. They can all be CVR's

3. Somewhat 1080p

That said these forums are pluaged with complaints about the night vision and all I see are the same replies (Talking with enginners). It also seems you are not really reading all the posts since pretty much everyone has done the things you keep talking about. 

Most users that bought the Arlo Pro 2 on launch day (myself included) had the Arlo Pro and did not expirience these issues. It seems silly to me we have not gotton a better response from Netgear on the issue and we keep getting the same post over and over like the company wants to kee us at bay untill the return peroid is over.

Just my thoughts and I have a copy of this post so if it gets deleted that will show where Netfgear is currently as a business. I will be taking my Arlo Pros 2 back these weekend unless we have a statement that these cameras will be replaced once the hardware fix is in. Yes it is a hardware issue!

My Setup

Also Pro 2 

No skins

Plugged In

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have been running the Pro2s for a few months now....

They are going thru a normal process of any brand new item and are getting better with the updates.... If you feel a need to return and wait, then by all means.

(btw, I never buy a new model car the first year either )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cflocation wrote:

First off there is much I love about ther Arlo Pro 2 

1. Three seconds back when plugged in.

2. They can all be CVR's

3. Somewhat 1080p

That said these forums are pluaged with complaints about the night vision and all I see are the same replies (Talking with enginners). It also seems you are not really reading all the posts since pretty much everyone has done the things you keep talking about. 

Most users that bought the Arlo Pro 2 on launch day (myself included) had the Arlo Pro and did not expirience these issues. It seems silly to me we have not gotton a better response from Netgear on the issue and we keep getting the same post over and over like the company wants to kee us at bay untill the return peroid is over.

Just my thoughts and I have a copy of this post so if it gets deleted that will show where Netfgear is currently as a business. I will be taking my Arlo Pros 2 back these weekend unless we have a statement that these cameras will be replaced once the hardware fix is in. Yes it is a hardware issue!

My Setup

Also Pro 2 

No skins

Plugged In

Sorry, I don't want to keep labouring this fact all over the forums, but whilst I recognise the issue wasn't present on such a large scale in the Arlo Pro's, it is still actually an issue. The same problem exhibited on the Pro 2, is already there today on the Pro (1st Gen) but just to a lesser extent.

Again, the support team for Europe spoke to me yesterday and it appears from their experience that if you get one of the issues then it seems to snowball and others become apparent.

Simply fact is, the product lines are defective, they haven't tested them in real world scenariors, they are likely using inferior quality products and no-one in netgear knows what's going on. The annoying thing is, they keep treating people like they are idiots, L1 support type questions. I just don't see any accountability here.

What I'm reading here is it's as if they don't expect people to put skins on cameras, or mount them outside covering their driveway. Seriously, ifor some people if they wanted or could move camera locations they would, but have some common sense here in what is being asked, people have mounted them in specific places FOR A REASON. Some of those reasons could be coverage, but equally some of them could be locality to power or lessening visibility.

I so much want Arlo to work, i love it's simplicity, and the fact that my wife can use it without me having to write a 10 page instruction manual is a bonus, but the problems that they are rife with are unforgivable and any other company at this point would have made an announcement or started down the route of product recall.

There are pretty key things going on here. I mean the very fact you can't power them outdoor because of a potentially flawed design in the 'Genuine Arlo Outdoor Power Adapter' is pretty damned important. The fact that all I ever read is the inconvenience of people having to scale outer walls to pull batteries is utterly ridiculous.

Safe to say I'm reading all these issues and the responses as for the most part I'm hesitant to return money back into Netgear after already going through the pain of Arlo 1st Gen return/refund, but despite all this I am still (marginally) hopeful they will get their act together and someone senior starts to actually address the problems within the organisation and the product(s) as for all my complaining i would actually like to get the new cameras.

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

Have been running the Pro2s for a few months now....

They are going thru a normal process of any brand new item and are getting better with the updates.... If you feel a need to return and wait, then by all means.

(btw, I never buy a new model car the first year either )

Sorry, I appreciate you have an opinion, but this singularly has to be the most mis-informed response I've ever heard. I would question 'month' I saw the press announcment for release around 10th October. 

They have been doing this for years, this is not new, they have had two previous generations to 'get this right', there is a wealth of experience across the security market to call upon, both inside and outside of Netgear. Don't be fooled into thinking 'this is new'; it is not. There are issues here as I said above that they could have easily investigated earlier.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

V8 wrote:

. I would question 'month' I saw the press announcment for release around 10th October. 

You could question it... but be wrong.... as have been running for months as I was in the Beta for the Pro2.

And yes, the PRO2 has improved as it matures just like many other products.

Morse is faster than texting!
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think most of us understand that electronic items, and new ones at that, are likely to have issues shortly after launch once they are in wider use and under more varied conditions.

I have been an early adopter for most of my life, so I am not unused to having to deal with and work through defects.

The main issue here is the total lack of input from Netgear on the many problems/bugs/defects that have been reported.

Yes, we understand that they 'have been reported to the engineering team', but there has been more than enough time for someone from that team, PR, customer services, etc. to make a public, formal announcement, and a guarantee that everyone who has purchased won't be stuck with useless paper weights.

I, like others, am approaching the end of the very short return window (15 days, seriously?), so unless there is a statement tomorrow (unlikely based on what we've seen), it's going to be another $850+ hit to Netgear and loss of a customer when I return them.

meier3283
Guide
Guide

Perhaps this is the correct thread to ask Netgear...   Have you reproduced any of the issues in a lab?  I'd just like to hear that it's at least reproducible.  (Poor night vision, poor overall resolution, cameras going offline, power adapter not sealing, any other issues I've missed.)
Until engineering repro's the issue, nothing can get fixed.

Hey Netgear team, a meaningful status update here and there, will help keep the noise down on these forums.   Many of us are facing a return window, and need to make an informed decision. 

V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

meier3283 wrote:

Perhaps this is the correct thread to ask Netgear...   Have you reproduced any of the issues in a lab?  I'd just like to hear that it's at least reproducible.  (Poor night vision, poor overall resolution, cameras going offline, power adapter not sealing, any other issues I've missed.)
Until engineering repro's the issue, nothing can get fixed.

Hey Netgear team, a meaningful status update here and there, will help keep the noise down on these forums.   Many of us are facing a return window, and need to make an informed decision. 

i think we all know the answer and trust me, their poor customer support hasn't changed in over 10 years, so it's not going to alter now:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/netgear.html

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.netgear.dk

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/netgear-san-jose-3

Additionally, the fact that their VP of Operations or CEO don't have the common decenty to even acknowledge emails speaks volumes (I know of at least one other larger organisation where I've had a direct response from a CEO in relation to a complaint)

Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just returned mine today.  $799 I have to invest elsewhere now.

ryeguy8585
Guide
Guide

I returned mine today also, and saved 2 others in the store from making a mistake and buying the Arlo Pro 2.

Some status update by netgear would have gona a long way, I only had 14 days to decide if I was going to get stuck with a 900$ paperweight. Maybe I pick it back up when the holiday return policy kicks in. Maybe...

mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice
I returned mine as well today. Done with Netgear
Cflocation
Star
Star

Same here. I hope they get the issues resolved since I do like the Arlo setup

dmatt56
Star
Star
Netgear, please respond to the night vision issue.

Also, why do you NOT sell individual power cords? I kept getting told to purchase the battery charger for $50. I don’t need that - I need a $10 usb cord and wall charger to activate the Arlo Pro 2 features that require power.
Toy4RickS
Apprentice
Apprentice

4 Camera pack, add on camera, 2 unit charger all returned, $1200.00

Also returned thrid part mounts, so it cost them $20.00

Also returend some skins, cost them $20.00

It cost me an additional $12.00 to ship everything back which Netgear won't refund so all in all.... I'm ahead cuz I am not going to get stuck with anything.  $12.00 is a small price to pay

Good luck all

Rick

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have to say, I'm astounded by the lack of (official) response from Netgear.

Burying your head in the sand and keeping customers in the dark is never a good way to deal with issues  and just results in frustration and ultimately loss of business.

I was considering returning mine and then purchasing again in the hope that I got a good set (and to have another 15 day return period), but now I think I'll just return them.

dtpmontagman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was almost sold on buying into an Arlo system, but after reading all these reports, I'm glad I decided not to. I will buy cheap IP cameras that actually work and control everything with Zoneminder. If the cameras have problems, worst case I will be out $50 - $100 instead of $200+, and I will have full control over my own data. I may have decided otherwise if it hadn't been for the complete lack of customer service.

Netgear, take notice. You're losing customers over this debacle and terrible customer service.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation