Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Uataby1
Aspirant
Aspirant

My current security cameras went off line about a month ago due to a power outage in the house. They continue to be off line because I am 1800 miles away.

i can’t reset them if I’m not there, so I am looking for a system that will allow me to reset remotely.

is Argo the system I need?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A lot depends on your router and how it comes back online....

If it is orderly, yes Arlo will come back normally and also allow a remote reboot of the base.... this doesn't apply to the cameras tho.

In a remote location if the base is offline for a while ( time unknown as conditions change ) the cameras sometimes loose sync ...if this happens there is nothing to be done remotely for the cameras.

What I do recommend ( that myself and other have done ) is get a UPS for the base unit... as long as the base retains power, the cameras will not go offline...when the router comes back , all should be good.

Another option is a wemo smart wifi outlet that hooks into your router... ( prob not as good as the first except for the Baby and Q cameras ) the outlet allows you to "unplug" the base and replug remotely...this also asures the router is up first and the base will reboot properly.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Uataby1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for that info. Let me clarify to make sure I understand properly.

the cameras I have are Ring and they are hardwired. My router is Netgear. There was a (brief) power outage. When the power returned, the router reconnected and is working perfectly. Unfortunately, the outage disconnected the cameras from the router signal. The cameras are on, but not on line.

The way I understand you is.....Arlo cameras are NOT hardwired, but are remotely connected to a base unit which must be (somehow) connected to the router. Because of this, a reboot in the router won’t disturb the camera connection?

again...thank you

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It depends on how long the power outage is. For me if its just a brief thunderstorm outage for an hour or two they usually come back on without having to do anything. Wen we had a hurricane and power was out for a week i did have to resynch mine
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TomMac wrote:

A lot depends on your router and how it comes back online....

If it is orderly, yes Arlo will come back normally and also allow a remote reboot of the base.... this doesn't apply to the cameras tho.

This is important. If power cuts are a recurrent issue, then I'd look at the rest of the network, and work out how to manage that remotely. After all, the Arlo is just an added extra on your network.

A regular scenario we see on the router support forums is that when the power goes off, when it comes back on the various bits of the network can restart in the wrong order.

For proper operation, the modem has to come on and establish an internet before the router kicks in. If the router starts before the modem is ready, then the router may not be able to establish an internet link and your Arlo base station will also be stranded.

In other words, consider the whole network, not just the Arlo base station.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation