Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Creating custom mode using multiple cameras using geofencing and schedule

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Timrozier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good evening. I would like to create the following mode, but when I add a new mode the application only allows me to select single cameras. I want to do the following with my multiple cameras...

1. When both me and my partner are away from home (geofencing) the cameras are all set to detect motion, no matter the time night or day. If at least one of us is home the cameras are disabled.

2. The cameras are set to detect motion between the hours of, say, 21:00 & 07:00, whether my partner and/or I are at home or not.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master

There are FAQs about that can help you.

As in my example I have my geofencing away set to armed mode that has four rules, one per camera. This is where I set the siren on my inside cameras.
The geofencing home is set for schedule which I have setup time slots with custom modes such as daytime, evening and nighttime to cover my needs when at home.
You can have more than one rule(camera) in a mode, use the add rule button to add your other cameras as needed.

Timrozier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Dannybear, maybe the application on my phone and computer isn't as sophisticated as I can only seem to set a custom mode using one single camera doing one single function. Would you be able to step by step talk me through setting up the mode to do this?

Dannybear
Master
Master
You should be able to see the add rule button when you edit the custom mode. Start a new mode and setup the first rule, then when in the mode list, edit the rule to add more rules.
Timrozier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I think I should probably clarify that I would like to be able to automaticallly set the modes so I do not have to change from "custom" to "geofencing" whenever I leave home. I just want to set it up once and leave it.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Once you have it setup and working it will be set and forget, I.e. no manual intervention required.

As a start you should think about what you want to see and happen, and when.
Setup custom modes and set them to occur in your schedule mode for when at home.
Then set geofencing to armed mode when away and schedule mode when home.
It can be confusing but this is so you can customise your needs.
The only disappointment is that you only get one schedule option so in my setup I can’t set a schedule when I’m away.
Timrozier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Dannybear. I have it very clear how I want the cameras to work and when they are to be active and disarmed. So I have set the schedule so the outside cameras are set to detect motion from 21:00 to 06:00. The indoor cameras are set to set motion from 00:00 to 06:00 (when I go to bed). However amongst all this I still want the geofence to detect motion on the outside and indoor cameras when my partner and I are both away from home. If one or both of us is home I do not want motion detected. I have the schedule checked in modes. Will the geofence automatically switch on when we both leave home?

Timrozier
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I am reading your reply properly as in I have to start the application and switch to "geofencing" mode when I leave home, and to "schedule" when I get back home. This is pointless in my eyes as I might as well just set to "armed" when I leave home if I have to do it manually every time I leave home. If this is the case it is quite disapponting. I will have to get in touch with Arlo and see if they can make the improvements to the application programming.

Dannybear thank you very much for your help and explanations.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Thanks, the arlo phone App runs in the background to let the base know when your away or at home.
One geofencing is enabled, no intervention is required by the user, hence set and forget.
You can set the geofencing mode that’s required for when away or at home. Look in the geofencing settings page for the options.
Hope you can get there.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation