Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo Pro 2 Base to internet

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jammer51
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to purchase and install Arlo Pro 2 at the marina where my boat is docked, and there is no internet service, so I will need a mobile hotspot. Considering the Verizon Jet Pack 4GLTE, model AC791L for this. 

Since the Arlo Base has to connect to a Router and the Jet Pack doesn't have an ethernet port, looks like a possible solution is to add the Netgear Aircard Smart Cradle, Model DC112A-100NAS. 

Does this sound like a workable solution or is there a better way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Your solution looks good, your monthly data costs should be pretty reasonable assuming your camera is viewing only around your boat and not recording video of every bird and other boat passing by. The netgear smart cradle might be overkill for what you need. Here are some less expensive alternatives. Assuming you have your Jet Pack broadcasting reliable wifi signal, Netgear makes the WNCE2001 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNCE2001.aspx which feeds wifi through an attached Ethernet cable to your base station. A less expensive option is a VONETS VAP11G-300 or similar (search the net), it's also a wireless adapter. Power via a USB charger. I use these wifi adapters to provide Internet to voip phones and they work reliably month after month. My suggestion is to buy an extra wifi adapter so if you ever have an issue you can have it pre-set up and swap it out. It'll save you a return trip to the marina. 

If you do setup Arlo Pro with a cell data plan, post again to let us know how it worked. I have a remote property I'm interested in keeping an eye on. There is electricity there but no Internet. My options so far are satellite Internet or a residential subscription to a WiMax internet service beamed almost 20 km to a transmitter on a mountain. If a cell data plan would do it, it would be interesting to see how many GB/month is consumed for video recording. Are you planning on leaving the camera outside hidden on deck or way up a mast? Or inside looking out a window (no motion detection though). 

Justanother1
Guide
Guide
You can use a WiFi bridge. Attach the WiFi bridge to the Arlo via Ethernet; the bridge will connect to your hotspot.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation