Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging battery Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
endriazizi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

How does it work arlo pro 2 charching battery system via cable, is not well explaind anywhere, and how long is it the cable and ho many?

Thanks a lot

Endri

14 REPLIES 14
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary

I don't own and arlo pro2, but several arlo pro's. But the main difference I understand is the Pro 2's are geared to be plugged into power all the time so you can take advantage of the benifits, otherwise they act as a regular Arlo Pros.

Now as for your question, the cable is about 5 ft or 6ft. Very similar to an android cord and plug in. Though, you pretty much have to use the cord that came with the camera because the micro usb for most phones is too fat to properly plug into the arlo camera's. I am sure this was done on purpose so you have to purchase cords from arlo. But pretty much any cell phone wall charge should work. I would assume that they only send you one. 

endriazizi
Aspirant
Aspirant
thanks for your reply,

should I plug in cable with battery on the camera or will damage camera battery.

I really wont to buy this product but they don't give a good expleanation about charging stuff. Is not clear at all. I prefer to plug all camres to th cable but how many cable I will get if I will buy Arlo Pro kit with 4 cameras? And can I plug cable and leave cameras outdoor?

brh
Master
Master

@endriazizi

I dont know how many cables come with that system, but how it works is this: The charger unit and the cable look very similar to a phone charger except one end of the cable is USB (plugs into the charger plug and the other end plugs into the camera - male microUSB connector), You can leave the charger plugged into an AC wall socket if you want the camera to have constant power. The battery will charge to its maximum, but will not discharge with use.

The charging unit that plugs into an AC outlet looks about like any other charger for phones, but the difference is that this charger puts out two voltages. 5 volts just like any other USB plug for running the camera while constantly being plugged in, and 9 volts when being used to charge the camera. You should not be able to to use a phone charger to charge your batteries.

Brian

endriazizi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where can buy additional original cable with adapter?

I hate Netgear Support, the don't give enought support.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In a 4 cam set... you get one adapter and cable. ( the internet search is your friend ) see below.

You can leave the cable plugged into the ac all the time without damage to the battery ( adapter is indoor rated only , outdoor rated adapter was recalled and will be re-released ).

If buying a 4 cam set, IMO, the charge tube which can handle 2 batteries for charging is the way to go... allows quick swap of cells into cameras. Also at least one extra battery ( btw, comes with an extra ac adapter and cable )

Batteries can NOT be charged themselves, must be in either in the cam or charge tube only

simple check on Amazon....

Included in the Box:
(4) Arlo Pro smart security cameras
(4) Rechargeable batteries
(1) Base station with built in siren
(1) Power adapter
(1) Power cable
(1) Ethernet cable
(4) Wall mounts
(2) Wall mount screw sets
(1) Outdoor security mount
(1) Outdoor security mount screw set
(1) Quick start guide
(2) Window decals

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
brh
Master
Master

You should look for Arlo Accessories at Amazon. I do not think they sell just the charger and cable or just the cable separately but there is one that has these that also includes a spare battery. But first research Amazon for the kit you want to purchase and see what is included in the box.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

I am using the new Arlo solar panels to keep my two pro cameras charged. You might also consider that option.

Also, if you purchase a single camera kit as I did and purchase the cameras seperately you will receive a charger and cable with each camera. It might cost a little more this way but if you wish to have all your cameras plugged int the wall all the time you will have enough chargers and cables.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brh wrote:

I am using the new Arlo solar panels to keep my two pro cameras charged.

Yes, but much depends on where the user lives....

If in a cold climate, you are better off buying a charge tube and 2 battery packs.. reason for this is the Solar panel WILL NOT charge the camera when it get below 32F ( safety for battery ) but the camera can function down to -4F

If you have extra battery packs you can swap the out quickly and the charge tube will give you a real 100% charge on the packs  ( last 20% longer )

brh
Master
Master

Very true statement, but just because the solar panel quits charging the camera until the temperature rises the camera still works and depending on the useage the camera can still work for weeks without recharging.

And then there are our frienda in Canada where both don't work during the winter. LOL

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

in case of unknown...

The battery while charged INSIDE the camera will acheive only about 80% charge.  The % is a safe area for the pack to sit at and not overcharge if left plugged in long term.

If charged in the Arlo tube, the pack will obtain a 100% charge.  I do find that the battery does last longer in usage ( since it has 20% more charge )

brh
Master
Master

Very good information to know. In my case the cameras are mounted up high outside and with my home made mount, quite difficult to remove. Besides I don't want to go out in this weather and climb up a ladder. Where I live the temperature normally can get down to about 8 degrees F at night and get back up to around 32 degrees F in the daytime for a week or so. I have found that the solar panels can get warmed up on a sunny day a few degrees warmer than the outside temperature so even if the temp hovers around the freezing point for a few days the battery charge is more than sufficient until the temps rise enough to start the panels fully charging the batteries. 

Brian

endriazizi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since the High Pirce of Arlo Pro 2 I am not sure at all if it worth to buy this product, Why if I buy Kit with camera I got Just one calbe.

And is not clear if camera can stay outdoor with cable, And does comera works without internet, storing data on HArd Disk?

And paying all those money is not possible to save it on my nas, it is really wired, more wired non haveing any info form netgear what a marketing, it  a shame.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

endriazizi wrote:

Since the High Pirce of Arlo Pro 2 I am not sure at all if it worth to buy this product, Why if I buy Kit with camera I got Just one calbe.

It appears most kits come with ONE cable and adapter.... but you do have options like the charge tube or solar panel if outdoors.. OR a spare battery pack comes with another cable / adapter

And is not clear if camera can stay outdoor with cable, And does comera works without internet, storing data on HArd Disk?

The current adapter/cable is not outdoor cetified... it is intended for indoors.

The base unit has a usb port for a hd or speed stick up to a max of 2TB, it can not be used with NAS but must be a stand alone unit.  The base usb backup will store videos if the internet goes out ( if previously armed ). But the usb drive can not be viewed directly ... it must be remove and viewed outside of the prgm/app

brh
Master
Master

I think the biggest difference between the Pro1 and the Pro2 is the video quality. P1 records at 720p and the Pro2 records at 1020p which adds a lot more detail in the video. Thus if you were trying to show the police a video to identify a burglar there will be much more detail in the video with the P2 especially when viewed on a larger screen.

I can't speak to Arlo's reasoning for 1 power adapter and 1 power cable, but my guess is that they expect the cameras to be used on battery power. So they only include 1 power adapter and 1 cable for charging purposes.

Arlo had a cable that allowed you to leave the cameras outdoors with continuous power, but recalled it, I presume for safety reasons. They have not announced a replacement date yet.

You must have the internet for this system because all recordings and camera controls are cloud based on Arlo's servers.

You cannot normally record to a Hard drive or NAS but you can add two flash drives to the base station for backup storage, although you must remove them and insert them in a computer to view the videos.

You can get a lot more information if you look up the product you want to purchase on Amazon. There you will find many questions and answers and reviews by people that have purchased the unit you are considering.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation