Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Change the setting so I can "narrow" the view of the (ARLO Pro 2) sensor or camera?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
levi33richard
Follower
Follower

Question #1:

I would like to configure a camera to take a more "narrow view" of its area, rather than the standard (110 degree) view area. Is this possible?

Question #2:

If I place a camera that views the street in front of my home I assume it would constantly alert me as vehicles and people walk by. If I turned off the "alert function" for that camera, will the camera still record? if yes, I assume it would record everytihing that went by.

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

#1 No...

#2 No... unless you have the CVR option. 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

levi33richard wrote:

Question #1:

I would like to configure a camera to take a more "narrow view" of its area, rather than the standard (110 degree) view area. Is this possible?

Question #2:

If I place a camera that views the street in front of my home I assume it would constantly alert me as vehicles and people walk by. If I turned off the "alert function" for that camera, will the camera still record? if yes, I assume it would record everytihing that went by.

Actually, the answer to Question #1 is YES.

Log into Arlo.  Click on Devices.  Click on the gear icon for the camera you wish to have a narrow view. Click on Video Settings. Click on the Zoom button under the image that appears.  You can zoom in from there and the zoom setting will stick. It's a digital zoom, so the resolution will be lower.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Is that just when you connect your device to AC power?

Some features don't work on battery power.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Zoom works on battery, too, as well as on all cameras. However, it doesn't reduce the detection zone of the PIR detectors. If AC powered you could use zones to minimize that detection.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The zoom works on battery power.  It's confusing though, because the zoom is configured on the screen where you set activity zones, and activity zones only work on AC power.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Confusing indeed. I went to try it and it does not want to know about the battery powered cameras.

In fact, I can't get it to work at all.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

michaelkenward wrote:

Confusing indeed. I went to try it and it does not want to know about the battery powered cameras.

In fact, I can't get it to work at all.

Not sure why it's not working for you.  Maybe you are on a different page than me.  Here's what mine looks like.  You can see the whole field of view and the zoomed section. You click on the Zoom icon at the bottom left of the image to zoom in. You don not click on the button to create a new zone.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 11.42.33 AM.png

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I see that, but how to do you get it to zoom?

The only way to get beyond that is to Create New Zone. But then we are back into the prompt:

"To enable Activity Zones, please connect your device to AC power. You can still edit, add or remove at any time."

If I do Create New Zone and Save, returning to the Live view shows no evidence of any zoom settings.

Just another user
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Click the Zoom icon. The image border becomes a red box.  Drag any corner of the box towards the center to zoom.  The zoomed area is represneted by the box. Click in the center of the box and drag to move the box to your area of interest.  Click save. Works on a desktop with Safari or Chrome browsers.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I get the feeling the user was referring to a narrower detection range, not just viewing area where you can play with the zooming feature. They’re two separate issues. Sorry if I misunderstood.......

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation