Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can WIFI router & Base Station being too close together cause problems?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Can WIFI router & Base Station being too close together cause problems?

If so, what type of problems?

Has anyone experience issues?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some folks have reported that moving the base away from the router has improved the Arlo system's reliability. My various bases/hubs have all be right next to high-powered routers with no problems. Thus, we can't say for sure why this worked, just that it did. It's possible that moving the base simply changed the path the signal between the base and cameras but it's also possible that something was happening with crosstalk between base and router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If they are too close, then there can be wifi interference.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

What are examples of interference one should look for?  (video?...audio?)

How a far apart does Arlo recommend?  

I'm wondering if the fuzzy/blurry/pixelating video I often see has anything to do with it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

What are examples of interference one should look for?  (video?...audio?)

I'm wondering if the fuzzy/blurry/pixelating video I often see has anything to do with it?

WiFi interference creates loss on the camera->Base link.  So the symptoms are the same as you'd see with poor connection quality due to distance - failure to connect on live streaming,  and/or video artifacts (including pixelating) in the recordings.

@billkex wrote:

How a far apart does Arlo recommend?  

I haven't seen an "official" recommendation from them.  I generally say that you should try moving the base as far as the arlo-supplied cable will stretch.

Note that you don't always see wifi interference - so if this makes no difference you can move the base back.  

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation