Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can Smart Premier be used to Ignore Pets

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
WhiteLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Newly installed Pro 2 system constantly records my two dogs as they move about near the house while we are away. The Smart Premier software is pretty accurate at identifying them as animals so I thought it would be possible to change settings to ignore them but I have not found a way to do so. Is this not possible?

My concern is that the battery life will be dramatically shortened and the camera positions are not easy to wire.

Am I correct about the constant triggering draining the battery?

Any creative solutions that don't involve aiming the cameras somewhere else?

10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

@WhiteLightning

See what happens if you turn the Animals slider switch off. It is advertised to help prevent false triggers.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@WhiteLightning

Out of curiosity, do you have Packages option. Mine doesn't.

Brian

WhiteLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant
Best I can tell that only disabled notifications and doesn’t stop the recording
WhiteLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it is shown below smart notifications and has a Beta tag
brh
Master
Master

@WhiteLightning

That is what I was afraid of. But at least it the notifications are turned off for them then you won't be getting tons of false notifications.

My thinking may have been wrong on the package detection. I put one camera as active but when I went into Settings > Manage Arlo Smart then looked at each active camera, all I saw was 4 slider switches:

People

Vehicles

Animals 

All Other Motion

When I did not see a slider switch for Packages, I assumed it wasn't working. Maybe just having one camera selected as active in the Package Detection section is all that is needed to make it work.

Brian

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is not working properly, and they need to address this among many other things.  Yes, it is draining your battery for no reason at all. In the attached, you can see that I have actually DISABLED Arlo Smart for every one of my cameras, yet I am STILL getting "smart" detection.  I used one of my cameras as an example, but every one of them are detecting my pets, people, general motion, vehicles, and whatever else.. Also, there's delays in the notifications which vary from 10 seconds to 30 minutes on my Galaxy S9, there's DOUBLE notifcations for any activity, and there's no still image of the activity on my lock screen until after I log into the app on my phone, which makes even receiving "rich" notifications pointless. 

brh
Master
Master

@dhiller0217

Out of curiosity, did you also turn off the slider switches for each camera. Someone said doing that brought back the speedy notifications.

Brian

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey Brian, yeah I did turn all the sliders off before removing the cameras from Arlo Smart, but I appreciate the response. Really though, we shouldn't have to find so many workarounds for all these flaws. For months I have been going through like a 12 step process just to install new versions of the app and not get duplicate notifications afterwards, and now that doesnt even seem to be working either. It's ridiculous. I could write a book about things that are not working properly, and they have all surfaced within the past 6 months or so.
brh
Master
Master

@dhiller0217

LOL. Don't get me started on these messes by Arlo.

Brian

Jbsox
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  I have the Arlo Pro 2 with 5 cameras mounted outside.  I live on 3 acres and have 3 dogs from 60 to 80 lbs. I am paying for the Smart Plan which they told me would allow me to turn off pet detection.  I have been playing with the motion sensitivity under the mode option, per instruction but it makes no difference.  It doesn't work.  If I get it set low enogh not to pickup the dogs...it doesn't pickup me pulling the car in the garage.  I opened a case on Monday 12/24 and was told it would be escalated to Level 2 support.  I have called back twice and still have not talked to anyone at level 2 support.  I was told they are very busy with everyone who bought cameras over the holidays.  Grrrrrrr

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation