Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Peart2112
Aspirant
Aspirant

I upgraded a camera and want to repurpose the old one - VMC4030 to my workshop.  I have a mains powerblock that includes USB ports for charging various devices so I used a suitable USB cable to connect the camera to this.  The app tells me the camera is not charging the battery.  But now it won't charge from the official Arlo charger that came with the cameras.

To troubleshoot this I have cleanned the connectors, swapped batteries and cameras around using the Arlo charger and have isolated the issue to the camera I moved to the workshop.  I have two of this model camera, the other camera charges both batteries, workshop camera charges neither battery.

I will try to measure the voltage on the output from the power block tomorrow.

So, questions:

Is the usb input connector on these cameras non-standard in terms of voltage?  I believe the standard for USB is 5v but the Arlo charger seems to be labelled as 9v?

Can these cameras be charged from a standard USB?

is my workshop camera charging circuit now fubar for good or is there something I can do?  I seem to recall having similar issues with refusal to charge in the past, but these ar around three years old now and have been fine for a while.

Thanks in advance folks, take care.

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
For the camera to deep charge the battery you need a charger that has Qualcomm USB C standard, it provides 9vdc when requested from the camera.

Generic USB chargers sometimes cannot supply the correct voltage of 5.1v required by the camera to float charge the battery.

If you’re using the arlo web portal on pc browser the battery status does not update so you may want to compare using the arlo mobile app instead.

Regards the cable wiring, are you using the arlo supplied charger cable that came with the camera? If not try it first.
Edited
Peart2112
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi, thanks for the reply.  i'm using the supplied charger and cable.

I'm using the iPhone app.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Had you allowed the camera battery to discharge completely? If so the camera had likely set to shutdown mode to prevent you charging the battery for safety reasons.

Not sure how to resolve this, maybe remove the battery, power it externally using the supplied charger and locate near the base station and resync.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation