Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Placement and heaters

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Chrisbob2
Aspirant
Aspirant
To cover two cabins I’m hoping to put two cameras on the eve that are 6 inches apart. Will that affect camera productivity or be a problem? Also I’m in Minnesota and plan to have AC to all four cameras that are outside. Is there a heater element that will work for the four months of the year that I need cameras working (on motion only). . If I keep the cameras plugged in 24 hours a day will that affect battery life?
7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@Chrisbob2

I don't know of any heaters that would not be a fire hazard. I suppose you could build an enclosure that would help keep the cameras out of the elements and rig up a bird bath heater or something similar close by.

Where you live you could completely remove the batteries if you intend to keep constant power to them, but at the temperatures you have in Minnesota, I doubt that the cameras would continue to work without some sort of heat.

Brian

Chrisbob2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks very much, Brian. One would think that with a third of the country in lower temperatures that someone has tried and hopefully found a legitimate solution.. I’ll wait for some more replies about the two questions but I had another Question if you don’t mind. I have an Orby router and plan to leave them in my Unheated cabins this winter. I am wondering if it will do damage to them or if they will not work below 32°.? Thanks again. You are my first reply and I appreciate it...
brh
Master
Master

That is a question I can't answer. Check the temperature specs on the router, (you can probably find them on Amazon).

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Chrisbob2

I just had another idea. If you had an enclosure for the camera and another enclosure underneath that wouldn't burn the house down, would a 100 watt bulb inside the lower enclosure work? You would have to be very very careful though.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

At this point in time, there's no official way to power the cameras outdoors with AC. The outdoor adapter was recalled and a new one has yet to be released

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And to the other part of your questions, I've had two cameras nearly side by side with no performance issues.

Slagish
Star
Star
I have two normal Arlo Pro also about a foot apart, opposite ends of a pillar, and no issues. Also I live in Illinois and haven’t had much of an issue with the weather over the winter. Of course it probably doesn’t get as cold as it does where you live.

I do have them hooked up to a solar panel so they recharge during sunny days. The only issue is that Arlo pro camera prevents recharge during extremely cold days. I think the coldest it got where I live was around -3 or so and -15 with the wind chill. So for about a month and a half, they weren’t charging. Just yesterday it got to around 40s-50s and charged both cameras all the way to 95%.

I was concerned with the weather and the solar panel but since the camera can last over 2 months with continuous motion activation, highest quality video, I am very satisfied with these cameras and the 2 solar panels. One for each camera. That’s based on that month in a half, they never got below 60% during those cold days.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation