Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

CVR with local storage?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know to get CVR, you need a Pro 2 and it must be connected to power.   I also know that the base station has a USB where you can connect a USB drive for local storage.

If you have local storage, can you get CVR without a subscription, or is a subscription required?

Side question - does every camera after the Pro 2, including the Essential, have CVR support?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can only enable local storage on your SmartHub and receive motion triggered recordings locally, but for a continuous video recording stream (CVR) you would need to subscribe to the CVR service, which will not record continuously to local storage.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CVR is subscription only and has nothing to do with local storage.

I don't believe the Essential cameras can have CVR due to the power connection. They're really not designed for constant power, especially for outdoor use - I believe only the solar panel is available for outdoors.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

CVR is subscription only and has nothing to do with local storage.

I don't believe the Essential cameras can have CVR due to the power connection. They're really not designed for constant power, especially for outdoor use - I believe only the solar panel is available for outdoors.

So local storage is only for storing video clips that are triggered by motion or audio?

I have a Pro 2 that is outdoors and connected to power, using a long USB cable, and CVR works with it.  Would this not work for the Essential? Or are you suggesting that the design of the camera is not suited to this?

Thanks

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @grillmaster13

You might find this article regarding CVR helpful: What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I use it?

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS wrote:

Hi @grillmaster13

You might find this article regarding CVR helpful: What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I use it?

I reviewed that page, but couldn't find the answer to my main question about local storage and continuous recording.  Though I do see that the Essential does not support CVR.

I'm wondering if cameras can continuously record to local storage, or if local storage is only for "clips" that triggered for motion and audio.  I found this article - https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it -  but it doesn't clearly define "videos stored locally"

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can only enable local storage on your SmartHub and receive motion triggered recordings locally, but for a continuous video recording stream (CVR) you would need to subscribe to the CVR service, which will not record continuously to local storage.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's very clear, thank you 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@grillmaster13 wrote:

I have a Pro 2 that is outdoors and connected to power, using a long USB cable, and CVR works with it.  Would this not work for the Essential? Or are you suggesting that the design of the camera is not suited to this?

I haven't seen the solar panel for the Essential so I don't know how they weatherproof it. That would seem to be the issue for AC power - sealing it. Until there's an outdoor power cable, no CVR for the Essential.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

@grillmaster13 wrote:

I haven't seen the solar panel for the Essential so I don't know how they weatherproof it. That would seem to be the issue for AC power - sealing it. Until there's an outdoor power cable, no CVR for the Essential.

I've seen Arlo staff state explicitly that the Essential does not have CVR.  That tells me the issue isn't about weatherproofing - it simply is not available.  If it was, then CVR would at least work indoors or with your own weatherproofing.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation