Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

CVR not available in my country?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
janet1
Follower
Follower

I bought Arlo Pro 2 on amazon and got it delivered. 

I need CVR as this video clips are not helpfull. I was checking online many different cameras and brands. From my research online I found out, that I need an Arlo Pro 2 camera that CVR works and that it needed to be plugged in as well as that I need a subscription. 

All good! I arranged myself. Camera arrived, installed, plugged in, wanted to buy the subscription... booomm. 

Not available in my country??? 

Questions:

1) Can somebody on earth give me any good reason why in some countries I can buy a subscription and why in others I can not? What is the reason behind it? It would be nice if that would be written in bold on the Arlo page instead of misleading customers. 

2) Is there any work around that I don't need the subscription but that I can store the CVR on a hard drive instead of a cloud storage space? If Arlo denies customers to have a subscription then at least a local storage should be allowed. 

3) Last but not least (offtopic): Why is not possible to have two admins with the same rights such as geofencing? Most people want to share this tool with the partner.. so make two admins. Whats so difficult about it. 

I am only disappointed by arlo. So many reviews praising this system but in the end only a joke. Would love to return the whole thing and start over with my research for a camera system which works without complicated cabelling installation

1 REPLY 1
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@janet1 wrote:

I bought Arlo Pro 2 on amazon and got it delivered. 

I need CVR as this video clips are not helpfull. I was checking online many different cameras and brands. From my research online I found out, that I need an Arlo Pro 2 camera that CVR works and that it needed to be plugged in as well as that I need a subscription. 

All good! I arranged myself. Camera arrived, installed, plugged in, wanted to buy the subscription... booomm. 

Not available in my country??? 

Questions:

1) Can somebody on earth give me any good reason why in some countries I can buy a subscription and why in others I can not? What is the reason behind it? It would be nice if that would be written in bold on the Arlo page instead of misleading customers. 

2) Is there any work around that I don't need the subscription but that I can store the CVR on a hard drive instead of a cloud storage space? If Arlo denies customers to have a subscription then at least a local storage should be allowed. 

3) Last but not least (offtopic): Why is not possible to have two admins with the same rights such as geofencing? Most people want to share this tool with the partner.. so make two admins. Whats so difficult about it. 

I am only disappointed by arlo. So many reviews praising this system but in the end only a joke. Would love to return the whole thing and start over with my research for a camera system which works without complicated cabelling installation

I have seen other people write about this same problem in the past.  Others have posted that a system set up in the USA can be moved and will work fine, but subscription must take place in the USA.  

I don't know how this is coded, but I wonder if you could buy a subscription using a web browser that is connected through a VPN service that has servers in the US?  If the issue is on the browser end rather than the equipment location, that might be a work-around.  The Arlo servers would see your connection as being from the USA, since that is where the VPN terminates.

I don’t believe there is anyway to record CVR locally and currently the local USB recordings for Arlo are only accessible by removing the USB drive from the base station and inserting it into a PC or Mac for viewing.  Arlo has said they will make local video available through the app, but no specific timeline has been committed that I can recall.

Axis offers one indoor model “Companion” camera that can communicate wirelessly to a local recorder, but notifications are not trivial and there is no geofencing capability.  Nest cameras will record continuously to the cloud via wireless.  All continuous recording cameras require constant power via a power cord or Power over Ethernet.

I use all three brands so I can leverage their strengths.  I have Axis cameras recording continuously to a local “Companion Recorder”.  (Fairly expensive)  I use Arlo for wirefree areas and for geofencing and notifications.  I use Nest where cloud recording is ok and I want really good two way audio.

Good question about Admins. Arlo doesn’t even allow two devces to be logged into the same account at the same time.  I have four Arlo accounts, so my wife and I can use our iPhones and iPads at the same time without knocking each other off the app.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation