Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
SECDAL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I'd like to improve ARLO 2's night vision capapbilities in our yard. A lot of the illuminators in the market are 12 v plug ins.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good all-weather, battery powered IR illuminator that is cheap enough to discretely put at a few places in the yard?

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

check this out coming soon;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Security-Lights/bd-p/en-arlo-lights

As to current items, any IR floods I recomend usu take 12v as you know... have you searched web?

Only one that looks good is prob out of your price range;

http://www.repzol.co/Brinno%20APL200%20Motion%20Activated%20Infrared

PS remeber you need 850nm IRs

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

That Brinno is the only one I've seen but if I'm spending that sort of money, I'd rather buy another Arlo camera

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Remember seeing this on Amazon, I believe it was around $100., sorry don’t have the link for it but you could look it up.

DudeDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Brino is $98 on Amazon:

I'm holidng out for the Arlo light..hoping it's the same battery as well.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oh, that's a LOT cheaper than what Amazon are selling them for. The question I have is the listed "Delay time 10s" - does this mean than when activated the light only stays on for 10s until activated again? 10s isn't very long and if it's like the Arlos on fixed time that click off and back on again with motion, that'll just be annoying

DudeDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

It seems basic....if you look at the Arlo light coming out, you have a great deal of flexibility in terms of colors, how wide/focused you want the light, etc.  I'm sure it won't be cheap, but I will get one to go with the camera in the back yard.  I've had my cameras for two weeks and they are working well.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, probably a good move. See what the Arlo Security Light is like and how much is costs before moving forward with anything. Obviously, the bonus that the light will get turned on by the camera and the camera will get turned on by the light are massive plusses

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Another option, if you already are using Smartthings and have your house outside lights configured. Have the motion sensor trigger the lights.

As I have my Arlos and Lights on Smartthings, there's no need for additional IR Lighting.
-Robert
DudeDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree.  I installed another lutron caseta switch to turn on my back light at night by the sliding door...helps the camera tremendously, but it's reachable without a ladder.  The Arlo light can be placed higher and do the job.  I signed up for an email alert when it's ready.  Given that the Arlo 2 camera sold alone is $200, my guess is that the light will be $100-$130.  We shall see!

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Now if the Arlo light can be controlled via Smartthings, I may consider purchasing.
-Robert
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Low wattage (e.g., 6 watt) LED PAR spot light bulbs throw considerable security lighting for the wattage. For about the power consumption of night light, I illuminate my drive way out to about 50 feet. I don't need the IR of the Pro 2 camera aimed at the driveway and IR is turned off on the camera. With the LED bulb the image is great and very clear. It is black and white but you'd have black and white with IR anyways. The spot light is on a daylight sensor and comes on from dusk to dawn. Something to consider versus a 12v IR lamp? 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

VancouverBC wrote:

Low wattage (e.g., 6 watt) LED PAR spot light bulbs throw considerable security lighting for the wattage. For about the power consumption of night light, I illuminate my drive way......

Would that be battery or a/c powered?

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

The spotlight is powered by AC/mains power. It used to be a 150 watt incandescent flood light, then a lower wattage halogen, then a fluorescent flood lamp and now 6 watt LED, all in the same spot fixture. Light colour in all cases is visible white. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation