Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery Backup while power outage

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gerry-F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have a question.

I plan to have the base connected to a UPS backup, the cameras with the batteries on and connected with the AC Outdoor adapter.

If the power goes out, will the system keep working? Will the cameras keep sending images to the base while the UPS power is still on? Will the cameras use their batteries even though they’re connected to the AC outdoor cable and there’s no power?

5 REPLIES 5
Dannybear
Master
Master
If the cameras are externally powered and have batteries installed then they should behave like battery only cameras when the power is removed. (Basic activity zones switch off though)

Be aware that you will need a arlo charger and cable for each camera and you only get one set with a system bundle.

If the home looses power including the base station the cameras will start draining their batteries quickly. If the base is still powered the cameras will behave as mentioned above.
If the cameras detect motion while the power is out, recordings will get saved to your USB backup in the base station but not to the cloud unless you internet modem is still working.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's what I use but also have the modem and router plugged into the UPS, too, so the network keeps working. Having the batteries in the cameras is effectively having a UPS on the cameras - no need to have a UPS on the USB supplies.

Gerry-F
Aspirant
Aspirant
But if I have the batteries in the camera and the outdoor cable also connected, will the camera use the battery when the power goes out? (Some devices disable the batteries when they have an external charger)
Living in Florida is something I want to have covered before the hurricane season.
I haven’t tested it because I’m buying the cameras today from Amazon.
Gerry-F
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you all for the answers 🙂
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Having the camera plugged in with the power out still allows the camera to work off the battery. It doesn't disable anything.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation