Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Batteries continually read 100% Arlo Pro 2 when it's 60% and lower?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
SJVGuy
Tutor
Tutor

I have an Arlo Pro 2 three camera system that I purchased at Costco this past August.  Shortly after my purchase I received a notice from Arlo to upgrade to their new app (by Sept 30th) on my iPhone as they were splitting off from Neargear and would no longer support the old app after that date, and so I'm now using their new app.  With the old app the Battery indicator would show the remaining battery life for each camera and when I got down to around 60% I would recharge the batteries--my fetish, I know I could go a lot lower.  But now with the new updated app (dated Sept 19, 2019; Version 2.9.1 (1134)) the Battery indicator (for any of the 3 cameras) never goes below 100%.  So by continually showing 100% I know it's giving me a false sense of security when in fact the remaining battery life is probably and realistically in the 60% range or lower.  I called Arlo tech support today and went through deleting and reloading the new app from the Apple Store as they instructed plus other suggestions they had like changing out spare batteries, etc. all to no avail--they all still read 100%.  I decided to let several cameras do live streaming for about an hour which would for sure reduce the remaining battery life, and still the Battery indicator on all three cameras displays 100%.  Tech support is baffled and told me to wait until the next update but he didn't know when that would be--that's great advice!!  I seriously think that this new version of the Arlo app has a glitch with regards to the Battery indicator accuracy—something isn’t registering properly.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  More importantly, if you're not seeing a reduction in Battery life (still reading 100%) after several weeks of use, then beware that your batteries are probably lower than you might think, and could be completely discharged at a critically important time when a valuable recording is needed.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sometimes it does depend how you charge them...

Not knowing how you charge yours, be aware of the following;

If in the camera, the 100% level fall as it should. But be aware they are only charged to 80% ( to prevent damage if left on charge )

If in a charge tube the battery get a true 100% charge.... or about 20% more than if in camera.  In this case the camera tends to read 100% for a longer time then normal and can appear not to be dropping.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SJVGuy
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks TomMac. I’ve delayed responding to you as I wanted to see if any of the camera batteries would display a reading less than 100%. All are still showing 100%. I’m now convinced there’s a glitch in this app. I find it difficult to believe these batteries are still retaining 100% of their charge with as much recording that they’ve been doing recently. So I’m suspicious their remaining charge now is less than 50%.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi SJVGuy,

Is this showing the same when checking through the web client on your computer? Or is this only affected through the new Arlo app?

SJVGuy
Tutor
Tutor

Good morning JessicaP,

As of this morning, I'm still getting a 100% reading on all three camera batteries at both the web client on my desktop computer and on my Arlo app.  Because I'm very certain those 3 batteries are probably now in the 50% to 60% range or lower (quite frankly I don't have any idea what their level is), particularly the Driveway camera which gets more motion detection hits than the other two, I'm going to recharge all three today just to be safe--there's just no way these batteries are still at 100%, if so, they're the most awesome lithium ion batteries I've ever used--very doubtful.  

I forgot to mention but when I was talking to the Arlo tech service rep several days ago, he had me reboot the base station (disconnect the Ethernet cable and power cable for 1 minute) and obviously that didn't solve my problem.  Due to the lack of replies on this issue, I'm assuming I'm the only one having this problem?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

You said you talked to the support team. Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation