Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base connectivity to internet

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey guys. I’ve had my Arlo for right around five years. Put it in storage two years ago when we moved. Went to hook it up today. All the lights come on. The Arlo says it’s connected to Internet (green light) but it’s not. I’ve tried hard reset it. Nothing works. I tried to call customer service but apparently that phone number no longer works and if you don’t have some sort of plan with them, then you can’t even chat with them. Can anybody please advise? I’ve tried the hard reset, I’ve tried different cables, I’ve tried unplugging and replugging. I’m not sure what else to do. When I try to find my device through the app, it just spins in a circle for several minutes and then says it was unsuccessful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for all your help and time, I truly appreciate you! It’s finally working. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Dannybear
Master
Master

Are you using the original arlo account that it was setup with before storage?

If you created a new account without removing the equipment from the old account then you will not be able to add them to a new account.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for responding. I’m using the same account I have always used. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

Ok, what are the LEDs showing on the base station,

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

When you tried the hard reset did you follow the factory reset procedure,

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

Since the Base station has been offline for a while it will likely need a firmware update once it gets added, same for the cameras.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I followed the factory directions for the reset. The power light is green. The Internet light is green or flashing green. The camera lights are green as well. That’s why none of this makes sense. It says it’s connected to the Internet but it’s definitely not.

Dannybear
Master
Master

What arlo app interface are you using, the web portal is having some issues of late, also android app.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m using the latest version 3.6.8 Apple. arlo security home security 

Dannybear
Master
Master

You mentioned that the camera led on the base is showing green, was this after the factory reset as my experience is that it should be off to indicate that no cameras are added.

What devices are showing in the app, if any, under the app settings/ my devices list?

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

No. It started lighting up green immediately. No devices are listed in the app. I removed them all prior to trying to hook everything up.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Usually when you perform the factory reset with the paper clip the base LEDs start flashing and when it reboots the camera led should be off as no cameras are synced yet.

If it comes up green then the Base station failed to perform the factory reset correctly.

It could be a dirty reset button in the base, do you get the flashing LEDs, if not have you tried holding the factory reset for longer than 10sec until the LEDs begin flashing?

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have held it for longer than 10. It blinks once and then goes back. If I restart the power button goes amber and then they all come back up one by one. The internet button will flash green every now and then. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

The internet led flashing green is normal when the base is talking to the arlo server. Usually it flashes for a few seconds every few minutes.

From you’re description it suggests that the factory reset is not working properly. Something in the firmware or the hardware.

I will try a factory reset on one of my base stations in case it is a firmware bug.

Can you confirm that your mobile device is using the local wifi for data and not cellular as the app requires local network access to the Base station Ethernet.

As an alternative adding method, try using a pc web browser connected to the local router Ethernet port using my.arlo.com to login to your account.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Do you know if you’re using a VPN within your router modem.

I performed a factory reset on my second VMB4000 base station and got the push notification to say that it was requested. Then all three LEDs went amber, internet led then flashing dull and bright. Then eventually settled on power led amber only, internet led went amber and eventually power and internet went green and camera led went amber. At this time  opened the app and base had been removed, adding device, select base hub and Base was found immediately and was able to complete the setup again.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

No vpn is being used. Ethernet cable is connected and all devices are on the same WiFi network. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

It would seem that your Base station is not able to factory reset. One possibly is that the factory reset button is not working, 

I can only assume you have the same model base station VMB4000 which has the label on the bottom.

You could retry operating the button with the paper clip a number of times to see if it will start working. Hard to know since you have to hold if pressed for at least 10sec to start the reset process.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I will try again and keep you posted.

Dannybear
Master
Master

It is also possible that your isp provider is blocking ip ports that arlo uses to access the base station.

One way to prove is to take the base to another location, friend or family, and use their router modem to try adding it.

Jlll
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for all your help and time, I truly appreciate you! It’s finally working. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

Glad to hear you had success finally.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation