Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station with Arlo Pro 2 power options

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I just wanted to ask if anyone had found a way to convert the power input to the base station to something like USB C PD. With it being able to provide up to 100 Watts of electricity I would think it should be possible. I would like to have something I would like to disconnect from either in and run through tight spaces. Thoughts.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Slightly old but informative post on the subject:

https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-power-delivery-806266/

First, the base needs a 12v input. There's no communication capability built-in to help set the power source to that voltage. Then there's the typical USB cables which tend to use thin wires for flexibility but can't support possible current needs.

While I'm sure it's possible for the advanced tinkerer, I don't see much advantage in doing so.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

What got me thinking about this was looked at another device I have that uses USB C for charging. My Pixel Slate. Its charger from Google is a 45 watt power supply that uses 20v at 2.25 amps. It also covers a slew of other voltages as well. The rundown of what is supported is near the bottom of that page. My point stands though. If we were able to get the right foltage i suspect we could power the base station from a USB 3.0 PD 2.0 port. I can't image that the Arlo basestation uses more then 100 wats as the spec suggest it can support. Clearly the big part of it would be to get the right voltage and polarity since the power plug is barrel connector.

Considering that the input needed is 12v you might there is a problem based on that page you linked. But when looking at my Pixel Slate charger there is a 12 V option with up to 3 amps allowed. The USB C cable is also fairly think compered to cheap usb cables. Clearly it is possible. I now there is a negotion that is suppose to take place. But my expectation would be there would have to be an adapter to convert the USBC to a barrel connector. That adapter would tell the charger it needs 12v of power. The question is how much power does the base station need and does such an adapter exist.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation