Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ehouse11
Tutor
Tutor

Just recently, within the last 2 weeks the base unit (in 2 separate locations) keeps going offline. Is there a system issue that is not being addressed??? This is really frustrating.

199 REPLIES 199
rose33090
Star
Star

IDK if this will work for you but it did for me after weeks of getting the same message and totally unable to check camera from my android.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-obtaining-ip-address-error-android/

I disabled mac filtering for my phone (on wifi router) and reinstalled Arlo app and was able to immediately use all the app features. I have not tried to use app on data yet.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd like to confirm that on the base, all lights stay green all the time. But I also noticed that when the base isn't available, the cameras respond to motion (infrared is on) but don't record. 

This has been the case for the past 3-4 months, but I've only started paying attention to it now. I've also noticed that batteries drain more. Previously, I'd need to recharge them every 3 months, but they deplete quicker now. 

There isn't a specific pattern (or I've not noticed as it's difficult to notice)  as to how often the base goes offline, but certainly a few times within an hour. Is there a way to obtain logs to check that?

Plus, I know the cameras don't record during that time (despite infrared being on) as we recently had two thieves in the area and only one was recorded climbing the wall (it's not like it's a quick action and a camera would miss it). Plus, when the neighbour took his dog out, the back garden camera only recorded him coming back into the flat (shared staircase). 

I've removed the cameras from the system, switched off the system and then reset it (by using a pin), then started again. Same pattern. I've also connected it to a homeplug (Devolo), rather than the router, but it's the same pattern. 

I just don't understand why there is no way of obtaining log data from the app/website - not only would it allow Customer Service to provide a better support, but would also allow the user to see what is going on with their system. I have to say, I'm in fact shocked that this kind of information isn't available. 

Also, since it's my product (i.e. that I bought and own), I'd like to have a say when and/or whether my cameras/base will receive a firmware update. These kinds of updates, especially that it's clear to me that Arlo doesn't test them well, shouldn't be compulsory, but always optional. Or at least with an option to make them optional. 

So, something is not right with your system (again). 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

My pic is the same as yours showing offline.... but it's a bit weird.... Web access/win10/FireFox

The 4000 base cameras are the ones showing offline( all leds green ) but the 5000 base and cams are fine.

But it also show a Q camera ( wifi direct ) and a Baby camera sometimes offline ( wifi direct ) too.

But they still are active tho listed as offline.

Every now and then getting an Orange bar stating " the session has timed out" when this happens.

It seems to be more of a fail to properly display the actual settings of status info over an offline issue

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Exfedim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here I thought my base station went tango union and tried to buy another one…….can’t order one their site is screwed up too.  Sooo frustrating!!  Even called and cannot order on the phone because they don’t trust the call takers with our credit card info.  But now since it all seems to be working except that I can’t access the base station or link at the devises live….I guess I will wait.  I have always been an Arlo fan but today after all this it is falling to the wayside.

varhino
Guide
Guide

So, here is an update.

Shayne, Arlo team, requested the log files from me trying to get logged in and my system responding that it was offline.

I've sent them to him and he indicated the development team would look at them.

Hope they review them very soon. Looking forward to a response as to what they discover.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@varhino

Correct, I have provided information and these reports to the development team. I will be providing an update as soon as possible.

Thank you

Morgans072408
Initiate
Initiate
No reply I see...same issues with my simple arlo base stations...??
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I'm sorry, but it's nothing to do with displaying status. The base station does really go offline, and I believe this is related to that described by another user in this section, that their cameras are showing as 'getting status' and being offline afterwards.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read these,,, is it similar ?

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Arlo-base-station-is-periodically-offline/td-p/1819711

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Base-Station-keeps-going-offline/td-p/1819256

ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

Ours says offline too sometimes now, even though recordings go on and all 3 lights are lit on the base. It will be fine one time and jacked up 5 minutes later or 5 hours. 

ArloUserinCA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using the my.arlo.com web page, my base station and cameras all show up as offline most of the time. 
Reboots, etc. don't matter.  Either I see three solid green lights, or the middle light will blink, so it should be working.

When I motion activate a camera, it turns on the IR, and appears to record me.  When moved away, IR and recording stop All wile the camera and base station appears offline on your website. 
Immediately afterwards on my router's console I see network traffic going in/out of the base station to the internet --- after the camera stopped recording.   The camera and base station all appear "offline" from the website.
And a while later I check, there is the recording in my library, but everything is still offline.

It appears your my.arlo website is very very broken

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I'd encourage you all to raise a ticket with Support, as if very few do, then Arlo will think it's an isolated case.
restuve
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same problem. 4000 base station. Pro & Pro2 base station going offline. Allot of hits on this. They can't deny this with this many people reporting it. Very frustrating.......

varhino
Guide
Guide

It appears that my base station and cameras are still operating correctly because i get alerts and recordings. I'm wondering if the issue is related to the interface and relay taking place between the app/online webpage and the servers since it appears that all system base stations communicate through the Arlo servers in order to display images and data on the app or online. Perhaps the user should be able to communicate directly with the base station without the delay of routing all things through the Arlo servers. Perhaps this is something Arlo needs to consider with a high priority.  Perhaps a major hardware upgrade on their end would help greatly. Just my view on this matter.

ArloUser88
Tutor
Tutor

Cause of Browser, Across Chrome and MS Edge

Arlo team, you have a CORS Cross site permission issue causing the website to fail to load properly. (Request timed out and/or things does'nt load in devices). You need to configure headers to allow myapi.arlo.com and my.arlo.com

Fire up F12 on with either browser the error is the console.

i.e: obfuscated the ID's

Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'https://myapi.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/devices/automation/active?eventId=xxxxx&time=xxxxx' from origin 'https://my.arlo.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.

Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'https://myapi.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/devices/notify/xxxxxx?eventId=xxxxxx&time=xxxxxx' from origin 'https://my.arlo.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.

ndt98
Guide
Guide
my base station is offline on the app since last week, i tried all the recommendations to make it work again, including the factory reset, but a few hours after it goes offline again. All the LEDs are green and i even receive notifications and recorded videos but can’t check the cameras online. Thank you for your help.
DShultz160
Star
Star

Same here - and it is MOST DEFINITELY NOT offline.

DShultz160
Star
Star

Same here. I suppose the crack dev team that introduced what is obviously a bug in their latest glorious release will be all over this. Same bunch of doorstops that introduced the diabolical mandatory 2-step verification abomination, which combined with Arlo's brilliant 25-second timeout features means I get to type in my verification code at least 10 times a day.  From the exact same PC, with the exact same IP address.

As an IT professional with decades of experience managing dev teams at some of the largest concerns on the planet, if I had this group, they be on the street selling pencils in seconds.  Sensational hardware, absolutely appalling software.  Shockingly so.

Ceej
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed, except with the sensational hardware part. These cameras are the only pieces of hardware I've literally ever owned that return "charging faults". They use USB 2.0 power, and yet I've been able to run a 14000 BTU air conditioner from the exact same outlet just fine.

Either way, glad I came across this thread. I am having the exact same issue as everyone else with my VMB4000 base station. No question given the comments I've read that it's a bug likely introduced in the last firmware update. This model has been out going on 4 years now. It's astonishing that these things still to this day have all these issues.

Fedupwarlo2020
Star
Star
Okay, now this is my 2nd post within 4 days. Waiting for reply from Shane & see that I have no pending open requests. I rely heavily on my cameras, I am not in a safe situation and need them. This all started at beginning of April. Not connected to internet, Red Banner appears not letting me log in, then when I log in says Device limit reached and I only use my phone & NO ONE has my information. My internet speed is fine with all my other apps just ARLO is the issue. Shane said it's Android, but Android updates our phones regardless if we want. BUT I DO SEE that on April 9th Arlo released version 3.2_8350 and this all started at began of April. Someone needs to stop with the bs and correct this.
Ibcruzn
Guide
Guide

Looks like that last app update got us all. I've done all things listed here with "0" success.

• We use a combination of iPhone 6S, iPhone 8 and iPhone 11 and all are of course doing the same thing ... not very much.
  • Most BOD's (Board of Director's) stay current on these types of issues and get them fixed pronto if they're close to their next SEC filing dates, sadly that's not the case today as the last financial quarter just closed at the end of March.
  • Next SEC filing would usually occur after the June financial quarter ends.
  • Seems like this happens 2-3 times a year (app updates that crash and burn) and it's getting harder and harder to get the attention needed to get it fixed.
  • If Arlo wishes to support multiple operating systems, maybe they should consider testing all the operating systems before releasing the updates.
  • Our frustration meter here is pegged all the way to the right.

The box my camera's came in says "Every Angle Covered" ... think Arlo needs to modify this nifty slogan to "Every Angle Covered Except After APP Updates".

Dang makes my head hurt doing all this IT stuff after a great career as a financial analyst. To be honest with everyone, the terms wifi, modem, router, isp, and all those other ones might as well be "Martian Lingo" for all the good they're doing me now.

Rant is not over, just delayed, sadly I got disconnected from someone's wifi, modem, router, isp and all those other terms!

DShultz160
Star
Star

Hardware - fair enough - I withdraw the characterization. 😉

Every software release - one presumes this lot is using Agile framework. Analysts create "stories" hand off to developers who code, followed by, at the very least unit test, system integration test (SIT), and user acceptance test (UAT).
Arlo has epic and system failures at every stop. The "2-step verification" story is putrid, evidencing an utter lack of understanding of the when, and the why.  After it passed unit test (developer says "It works") there was no obviously zero SIT or UAT, else they'd have at least coded some checks for inadvertent repeated sign-on. I've never seen anything as putrid as this lot.

Here - who knows what came out of design. Coding - no way this passes unit test. While this group of developers are clearly incompetent, where were the testers? DOES ANYBODY TEST THIS GARBAGE BEFORE IT DEPLOYS?!?!?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there are two other threads re same.... having same issue here

Arlo is supposed to be working on the issue

( imo, it has to do with the 4000 bases as my 5000 base has no issue )

Jmgiunta
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have five protein cameras and one wireless doorbell. I recently had a problem with the doorbell camera and had it replaced and it seems to be working fine. Now for the last couple of days all my pro 2 cameras keep going offline and I have to log out and log back in to get them to work but they do not stay up very long. The only thing I have done recently is install power cables to the pro 2 cameras I have left the batteries in. I have reset the base station rebooted the base station rebooted my spectrum router removed all the cameras and reinstalled them and nothing seems to work. I see that some people here in the last few days are experiencing the same problem with the cameras going offline. I'm only 33 ft away from the base station. I've had these cameras for the last 3 months. And occasionally it will go offline but this is now all the time. Speed test at the front of the house where most of the cameras are located on the 2G side of the connection averages 26 mbps download and 10 upload. This has to be a problem at Arlo. Because everything is good at my end. Anybody got any information on this?
dcfox1
Master
Master

@TomMac wrote:

( imo, it has to do with the 4000 bases as my 5000 base has no issue )

Agree, My 4540 has no issues. Even if it is in the app I don't have issues on IOS.