Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras are showing blocky video. Has poor wifi connection and terrible lag.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor

I've had this base and 5 camera's for 3 months, and I think my base might be bad?
My camera's are constantly showing blocky video on and off while watching the clips.
Cameras only 15ft away show poor wifi connection, and terrible lag (up to 15 seconds at times)
Everything else in the house is hard wired, and I don't use my phone on WiFi.

7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master

There’s a lot of reasons for poor wifi signal strength at the base station including having a dud unit.

Replacing it would be a good start but if you’re not inclined then suggest you could do some testing first.
Without detail of your setup and list of your other devices about.
Take the system to a friends place and use their internet to see what changes.

You could get an wifi scanner App and see if you’re suffering the next door neighbor syndrome of flooding wifi. It will also confirm any attenuated signals via walls etc.

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
I already had my internet checked, and it's good. Nothing runs while the base is on anyhow. When I use the internet I have no issues with my laptop or Xbox1 either, I print photos off my laptop with 0 wait time or issues.
Dannybear
Master
Master
So the internet is working well for you, that’s a good start.
From what you have detailed, your internet modem/router (do you have one) is basic and does not extend wifi to your home.
As the arlo base unit extends it’s own 2.4ghz wifi to talk to the cameras and you have poor signal, then it does suggest a base station problem.

Just be aware that the base station can look for the closest wifi channel that’s about within the same network and changes it’s wifi channel to piggyback onto it.
I could be wrong but it may also adjust it’s own wifi transmitting power to match that of the strongest 2.4ghz wifi signal it can find matching your network.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
No I'll go to the Geek Squad first at Best Buy where I got it.
marcrnsm
Tutor
Tutor
Mine is strong, I still have signal when used my phone on WiFi half block away
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your phone and distance from your house has no bearing. It's the distance, etc. between the base and camera. Your phone is connecting to the servers, not the cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation