Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
GeckospotNixie
Guide
Guide

The new app 2.6.0 on android is just bad totally bad!

Before I was able to open the app and see the battery status icon on each camera.

Now its two menus to get to the battery status! What that about?

Put the status icons back on the camera windows title bars!!

This new view is just painful!!

Put the status icons back on the camera windows title bars!!

Also if you start a live view of a camera there is NO stop or pause button??

What that about?

I had to close the app to stop a camera live viewing!

That is just a pain!

This new app blows bit time!

64 REPLIES 64
Wetzel402
Tutor
Tutor

After some troubleshooting it appears my geofence mode no longer works.  All other modes do.  This persists regardless of app version and seems to have coinsided with the most recent update.

Kreisel
Aspirant
Aspirant
The new app V2.6.1 is improvement, but the battery indicator is missing from the landing page after sign in. During one sign in I noticed for a split second the battery level indicator appear between the camera name and the video clip counter. Going into device settings on each camera or light is total waste of time. Any ideas on how to get this on main landing screen? Thanks! Joe
brh
Master
Master

@Kreisel

That is the way Arlo's new app works. It will only show up if the camera batttery goes below 15% I believe. Let's hope that they bring the old app back, but don't hold your breath.

Brian

fr33t
Star
Star

I agree - the new app was much better since it made possible to check quickly if cameras are armed or not and the battery level of each camera. The update is really stupid and make the all system painful.

Netgear please restore the features of the previous version !

Pepsi23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree. It's a huge waste of time. I need this information to be available at a glance. Our cameras rely on battery power. This is critical information that's missing now. Please bring back the always on battery indicator in (possibly in percentage form).
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Android app update today has the battery indicator on the Devices tab.

J_Marley
Initiate
Initiate

I am in complete agreement about the battery icon needing to be restored to where it was originally. I chatted with an Arlo rep today and they considered this change to the battery icon an "enhancement" and told me there was no way to submit a request to have it changed back.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And yet ... on Android ... it is back. I did not yet have the Play Store push, so went there, updated and logged out and back in and presto, there was our tiny little battery back on the Devices page for each camera. Thanks for listening and taking action Arlo. 

Pepsi23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did the update and am not seeing it under devices.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It did not appear for me at first, until I logged out and back in. You may need to clear the app cache also. Worst case scenario is clear cache, force stop, uninstall, reinstall. Like I said though for me it was only necessary to log out and in.

Pepsi23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yup, that worked. I feel like I shouldn't complain about the size lol glad it's back tho
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yeah it's back but damn why is it so small? They could have made it bigger but it's there smart ass way of bringing it back so basically it's so small you can't really see the level and really not of any use.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

We released a new Android update where the battery icon is back on the home screen! You can read more details about the new app update here: Arlo Android App - 2.6.2 - 30th October 2018

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Thank you....a good start.  Keep going.  It wasn’t clutter....it was valuable information for us.  Please bring all of the information back to that screen and display the icons whether or not they are “active”.... like motion and when there are zero new recordings for a device....the latter is a huge timesaver and currently a huge loss for users.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm 68 and have to wear glasses and I can see it fine. Yes, it's small but there's no reason it needs to be huge.

SS_Camaro
Guide
Guide

Release Details:

Arlo Android Mobile App version 2.6.2

• The battery icon is back on the home screen for each device. To see other settings (like signal strength, device details, etc), tap on the three dots next to the device name.
  • Other minor bug fixes

I beg to differ from the statement above.

The battery icon does show up now on the devices screen for my Arlo Pro camera but the battery icon does not show up anywhere in the app for an Arlo camera. I still have to go online to check the battery status of my other Arlo cameras.

In devices, when I click on the gear for an Arlo camera, the detials screen contains an icon for the camera and that's it. There are no features to adjust other than I can reneme the camera. Online, the device settings screen for an Arlo camera shows all of the expected details/features.

Also, the app still crashes if I try to edit a mode. The crashing started in 2.6.1. The app worked flawlessly before 2.6.1. Online editing of a mode works as expected.

Ayone else have similar issues?

Netgear please fix your app or offer the version prior to 2.6.1. until 2.6.2 is corrected.

Phone: Google Pixel 2 OS ver 9. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

SS_Camaro,

Can you provide more details regarding your statement? 

"I beg to differ from the statement above. The battery icon does show up now on the devices screen for my Arlo Pro camera but the battery icon does not show up anywhere in the app for an Arlo camera. I still have to go online to check the battery status of my other Arlo cameras." 

Can you provide a screenshot of what the issue you are seeing is?

Have you removed & re-installed your Arlo Mobile App and tested your edit modes again?

SS_Camaro
Guide
Guide

Device Screen.png

Arlo.png

Arlo Pro.png

The porch camera is an Arlo Pro. Battery indicator for the Pro now displays on 2.6.2…cool! The Pro is operating as expected.

I have three Arlo cameras. The street camera is an Arlo. Battery indicators are still missing on the devises page. Settings for the Arlo cameras are non-existent.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2.6.2 and the crashing has ceased. I can now edit modes in the app. Thank you!

It appears I should have posted this under the Arlo forum. Apologies for any model confusion.

Thank you very much for the reply.

RLM57
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same concerns as others, on iOS. System went dark on Halloween night - not exactly helpful for a so-called security system. Battery Fully Charged Indicator is under Camera LED.  Not sure where Camera LED on/off is located in this terrible downgrade.  Devices screen now only shows one camera at a time, not several as before (much preferred). Please help!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@RLM57 wrote:

Same concerns as others, on iOS. System went dark on Halloween night - not exactly helpful for a so-called security system. Battery Fully Charged Indicator is under Camera LED.  Not sure where Camera LED on/off is located in this terrible downgrade.  Devices screen now only shows one camera at a time, not several as before (much preferred). Please help!

The camera LED is is under device settings.  There are two ways to get there.

1.  On the “Devices” screen Touch the “...” for the camera and then “Device Settings”.

2.  On the “Settings” screen, locate the device and select it. 

simspos
Guide
Guide

Just adding my disgust at the removal of battery status

OK it's back on Android....  GOOD

Now can we have it back on IOS

As a sidenote, why not poll the users before making these type of changes, whether you like it or not we have more experience of usability than anyone and could help make things better if you'd only let us

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Need much more than just battery indicator on home page! That would be directionally correct but after 25 steps backward hardly something to feel good about.

First priority, it needs to function as advertised. Still not pushing notifications when triggered. Sending emails but this is severely delayed. Wish the Engrs would focus on getting functional bugs fixed versus continuing to muck around with usability. Not pushing notifications is just one of several know functional bugs.

Second, now that they have also completely broken the UI/UX, they need to reference 2.5.5 and basically restore all the functionality that was in that release.

Love to have the battery setting back on home page ... but just as important to my use is ALL the system ques on the home page. They even complicated the push to talk and record functions by eliminating visual ques. Having lead UI/UX in my past life there is no way any UX professional would be saying what we have now was an upgrade ... no one!

Reminds me ... need to check status on the new simple to use app. Reliability or lack there of does need daily checks. Have 10 cameras so need a a bit of time to go through my daily 30 clicks to check camera status .. love how simple they have made it.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I agree.  The UI in 2.5.5 is really an industry leader.  It baffles me that they couldn’t see that fact and abandoned greatness in favor of sub-par.  The 2.5.5 had so much of what we want and need to monitor our homes....at a glance!  Not only could we see our battery levels, but that included power indicators showing wall power or whether our solar panels were charging or not.  And so much more...

I actually erased and restored my iPad from a backup taken fore 2.6.0 was pushed out.  I am so happy to be back on 2.5.5. 

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. I stopped auto download last year given all the release errors. Still running 2.5.5. Tested 2.6.1 on iPad I rarely use ...

Still a mystery to me why Arlo leadership seems to tolerate such poor performance from the software group. Have never had a hardware issue but every release of firmware or app has multiple issues. Need new blood if they want to change the outcome.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I’m not sure which group handles firmware...often that is the hardware group,  I’ve had few, but some pure hardware problems and a number of problems due to firmware.  This app problem is definitely the largest screwup in Arlo history.