Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro2 keeps triggering on sound alerts

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jimshoe52
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Arlo pro2 cams keeps triggering on sound alerts. Last night it alerted 16 times I've turned all audio switch(s) off but still getting alerts.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimshoe52 wrote:
One of my Arlo pro2 cams keeps triggering on sound alerts. Last night it alerted 16 times I've turned all audio switch(s) off but still getting alerts.

Have you double-checked the rule in the mode?  Make sure audio detection is unchecked there.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

jimshoe52
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, all sound features have been off. I think it's my neighbors dog that sets it off.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I sometimes get a scratching or crackle noise on my pro2 cameras that trigger the camera. They seem to last for a day and then stop for a few weeks.

I put it down to moth lava hatching from their pupa inside the microphone port of the cameras.

I guess it could also be a hardware instability in the microphone circuitry in the camera that appeared shortly after purchasing. Since all four started about the same time.
jimshoe52
Aspirant
Aspirant
So are you saying it's a defect in the camera itself? I guess there's no fix? I still don't know if it's hardware or software problem.
jimshoe52
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't have any of the models listed in that web link you sent me.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I suggest it is software related.
You could try cleaning the battery terminals to start with. Use a cotton bud with a non residue contact cleaner for electronics.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimshoe52 wrote:
I don't have any of the models listed in that web link you sent me.

Are you responding to my reply earlier?

The link on modes and rules applies to all Arlo cameras and base stations.  What camera model and base do you have?  There should be a label inside the camera (remove the battery) that starts with VMC, and a label on the base that starts with VMB.

jimshoe52
Aspirant
Aspirant
OK, I finally found the triggers & turned off the sound. But now I've got my motion sensitivity slid down to #1 and am still picking up cars driving by on the street. I've got the activity zones narrowed to the back of my cars which is about 10' from the road. But still getting motion triggers from cars driving by. The traffic is killing my battery quickly.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimshoe52 wrote:
I've got the activity zones narrowed to the back of my cars which is about 10' from the road. But still getting motion triggers from cars driving by. The traffic is killing my battery quickly.

Activity zones won't help battery life.  Video is streamed whenever motion is detected (whether in-zone or not).  The Arlo Cloud then analyzes the video, and if the motion is out-of-zone it will supress the notification and cloud recording.  Since the camera acts the same way whether you use zones or not, the battery drain remains the same also.

@jimshoe52 wrote:
OK, I finally found the triggers & turned off the sound. But now I've got my motion sensitivity slid down to #1 and am still picking up cars driving by on the street.

Did you turn this down in the mode, or were you using the motion detection test?  The setting in the test is just for the test - to change the operational setting you need to change it in the mode.

You might try removing and reinserting the camera battery (to reboot the camera), and see if that makes any difference.  Removing the camera from the account, and then re-adding it would be the next step.

Of course you could also swap the camera with one of the others, and see if the problem stays with the camera (likely it will).

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation