Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there any video's  that can comapre Pro 2 and Pro from outside locations that show day and night activity. So we can compare quality of recording, movement and the ability to recognize faces both in a day time and night IR time setting.

If someone has the 2 systems greatly appreciated if you could post them.

39 REPLIES 39
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Not sure any of the Pro2 cameras have shipped yet. Hopefully soon. A side by side comparison would definitely be interesting

Kristi6258
Guide
Guide
I had the pro, I just got it, we had for 2 weeks I just returned it. We weren't happy with the picture, I hope the pro 2 is better I ordered them on Tuesday from bestbuy. Should be in over the weekend, I'll post update.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Kristi6258 wrote:
I had the pro, I just got it, we had for 2 weeks I just returned it. We weren't happy with the picture, I hope the pro 2 is better I ordered them on Tuesday from bestbuy. Should be in over the weekend, I'll post update.

There have been a few comparison pics posted around here. While the picture is visibly sharper, especially side-by-side, if you're expecting 1080 res to mean that it'll look like you're watching a blu-ray, you're going to be disappointed. Let us know what you think anyway

Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for responding if you can post some videos that would be great Day and night with limited light if any.  I do not expect TV quality but I would love to be able to identify someone in a picture if need be. One for my purposes and two if police need a discripting for attempted car break and enteries.   thanks again 

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Kristi6258
Guide
Guide
Here is one night the driveway light is on dim.
Kristi6258
Guide
Guide
Another night limited street light
Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kristi   I do not see any link to the picture or video?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Good videos, Johnny45. Pro 2 definitely sharper. The night ones are hard to compare as your Pro has a strong IR reflection on the left side that darkens the rest of the FOV so the Pro 2 looks a lot better here whereas some report it doesn't seem as good. Thanks for the side-by-side comparisons

MCS2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I replaced my pro with a pro 2 in my front yard, ac powered. The pro 2 definitely not giving a clearer image. During the day from 15 feet not enough detail to see a face. At night forget even trying. I think the pro was slightly better. Very disappointed.
I will do a side by side comparison soon.
mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got my Pro 2 a few days ago and its my first Arlo. I am so disappointed in quality of video and image. I strongly think Netgear just upscaled Pro's images to 1080p and calls it a new product. Posted my video and screenshot in another topic here. Basically Pro 2's socalled 1080p quality is at best similar to my Ring doorbell pro's 720p quality. In fact, if you take screenshot using Arlo app or online, it saves 720p images.

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree that they need to do something on the video quality.  Perhaps it's compressed too highly.  I do know that the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 have different camera/lenses as I have both and compared them side-by-side.  The Pro 2 has a noticeably wider lens element in it.  Too bad that the image quality is better.  They should give an option to increase the image quality further if attached to a solar panel or power if battery drain is the concern.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey guys - I posted this elsewhere, but it is useful.

There is an article that tells you the key new features(posted below).

I am posting the changes from the Arlo Pro to the Arlo Pro 2, but below that I am also including the changes of the original Arlo to the Arlo Pro as well, just for reference for new people interested.

As per the article I am linking:

https://kb.netgear.com/000049468/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-2-offer

Arlo Pro to Arlo Pro 2 changes:

• Full HD 1080p video resolution. Arlo Pro 2 offers crisp 1080p Full HD resolution with nearly identical battery life to Arlo Pro.
  • Look Back. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 uses a pre-buffer to record the three seconds before motion is detected. Your motion-triggered video recordings start before the motion happens, so you don’t miss a thing. Pre-buffering also offers lower latency than ever between motion detection and the start of video recording. When operating on battery power, Arlo Pro 2 does not pre-buffer.
  • Activity zones. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 allows you to set up activity zones.. You can select up to three rectangular zones for your Arlo Pro 2 camera to focus on. Motion detected in other areas of the camera’s field of view does not trigger video recordings. When the camera is not plugged in, activity zones are disabled.
  • CVR. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 is capable of continuous video recording (CVR) with an optional paid CVR plan. When the camera is not plugged in, CVR is disabled.
  • Compatible with Amazon Alexa. With Arlo Pro 2, you can pair your cameras with Amazon Alexa so you can use voice commands to view live video stream on an Amazon Echo Show or Fire TV.
  • Various charging options. With Arlo Pro 2, you can keep your camera charged by using the rechargeable battery, plugging it into a power outlet, or connecting it to the Arlo Solar Panel (sold separately).

Original Arlo to the Arlo Pro Changes:

https://kb.arlo.com/1145362/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-offer

Rechargeable batteries (I wanted to mention that the original Arlo has rechargeable batteries availabe as well, but they are sold separately here)

• Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras use rechargeable batteries. You can easily charge the Arlo Pro batteries when they are depleted and save money by not having to buy disposable batteries. You can even charge the batteries without removing them from the camera. 
    Note: Arlo Pro rechargeable batteries must be charged indoors.
  • If you don't want to take your Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras down while they charge, an Arlo Pro charging station (sold separately) can charge two spare batteries (sold separately). You can easily swap batteries out with fully charged ones so that you can keep your home or business protected around the clock while minimizing camera downtime.

Flexible Power Options

With Arlo Pro, you can choose to stay wire-free or go wired. If you want to plug your cameras in, Arlo Pro has you covered. Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras can be plugged into an AC outlet with no batteries needed. 
Note: You must use the supplied Arlo Pro power adapter and power adapter cable. The power adapter and power adapter cable are not weatherproof and must be used indoors.

2-way audio

Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras have both a speaker and a microphone. Arlo Pro lets you record video with audio, send alerts triggered by sound, and even talk through the camera's speaker using the Arlo app. Like motion detection sensitivity, audio detection sensitivity can be adjusted in a camera's rules using the Arlo app or the web interface. For more information about changing audio sensitivity settings, see How do I change the audio sensitivity on my Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, or Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras?.  

Advanced motion detection sensor

• With their improved motion sensing range, Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras can detect motion up to 23 feet away.
  • Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras respond to motion almost instantly, so you get the clearest possible recording of whatever triggered the motion alert.

Mix-and-match compatibility with other Arlo products

If you are already using Arlo products, you can keep using them. You can sync new Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras with an existing Arlo base station or use a new Arlo Pro base station with your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras. You can even mix and match existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras and new Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras. No matter what models you're using, Arlo keeps you covered from every angle.

Siren

• The Arlo Pro base station has a siren that you can activate right from the Arlo app.
  • You can also automate the siren using Arlo modes to turn on the siren every time motion or sound is detected by a camera. For more information about modes, see What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?.

Increased field of view

Arlo Pro's improved 130-degree field of view makes it easier than ever to keep your home or business covered from every angle.

Local storage backup

Arlo Pro lets you connect a USB drive to the base station for local backup storage. For more information about setting up local storage, see How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?.

New skins

• Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras pair well with optional Arlo Pro skins (sold separately) that protect the camera image lens against dust, condensation, and sun glare.
  • Arlo Pro's optional new skins are made of UV-resistant black silicone, ideal for disguising your cameras.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Arlo night vision is very dark unless you provide some light. Still no fix
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
That is on Arlo Pro 2 night vision is dark Arlo Pro 1 is better for night vision
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Johnny290 wrote:
That is on Arlo Pro 2 night vision is dark Arlo Pro 1 is better for night vision

Are you just spamming the threads now?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
And why do you say that
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Here's a Pro 2 screencap. There's minimal light apart from some fairy lights my missus hung. I'm pretty happy with the night vision

Pro 2 dark.jpg

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Okay thanks a lot of people are not happy with your night vision and I'm trying to keep that topic alive so hopefully netgear can fix it
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed. Netgear has swept the Arlo Pro 2 issues under the rug for long enough. I used to recommend the Arlo Pro system to everyone, and would still recommend the Arlo Pro 1 but I just cant recommend the Arlo Pro 2 because I just wouldnt feel good about myself when they have to deal with constant offline issues, legitimately worse battery life than the pro 1, and the subpar night vision...... Day vision is better than the pro 1 but the other issues outweigh the 1 advantage it has over the pro 1. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To support my theory that it's not brightness but contrast that's the difference, here's a series of snapshots to demonstrate:

Pro with more contrastPro with more contrastProProPro 2 with less contrastPro 2 with less contrastPro2.jpgPro 2

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Do you think I have a defective Pro 2 camera because my night vision is so dark
steve_t
Master Master
Master
Johnny290 wrote:
Do you think I have a defective Pro 2 camera because my night vision is so dark

Post a screenshot. But also don't send me PMs, please

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies