Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 only recording short clips

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Tmmk70
Tutor
Tutor

I have these directly plugged in and been using for about a week. I have tried mutliple settings and different modes but still only get about 13 seconds on most recordings. I get multiple clips for an event and I miss most of what was going on due to the start stop and lag in between. Is this going to be fixed? It should at least record 5 seconds or so after movement stops to make sure the person is not still in the field of view. It's really annoying. For instance I got a clip of a van coming in the driveway, van stops, clip stops. Then I get a clip of the person already outside the vehicle opening door to get child out. The camera then stops again because that person is mostly inside the vehicle. Then I get another clip of the person almost out of the field of view.  They were holding kid walking into house. 4 clips with missing video in between for 1 event that took a few minutes but only have 4-13 second clips.. Is there a fix coming or should I just take them back to Best Buy?? I've got over $500 in these with the power cables and for that price they should work a lot better! I have seen this was an issue with the older pro model and it was supposed to be fixed?

8 REPLIES 8
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Have you looked at the "Recording Settings" for the cameras? See mode settings.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Tmmk70
Tutor
Tutor
I made my own mode to try and fix this. The options are record until motion stops ( up to 300 seconds) or set length to record up to 120 seconds. I was set to the first one as am trying the other one now.
CCQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 x cameras.  One only records a few seconds (as described in Tmmk70's posts), and the other records for about 4:30-5:00 mins per clip.  These both have the same settings in the Armed mode.  😕  As Timmk70 says, it would be good for recordings to roll a few seconds past last motion detected.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CCQ,

Are you using a fixed recording length or are you using record until activity stops?

JamesC

Dogwatcher
Initiate
Initiate

James, 

I have mine set to when activity stops and I get a max 13sec video. Fedex dropped off a package at the front door. Video shows him dropping it off but never leaving.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How long does te activity stop when the dropoff is made? If it doesn't restart within about 5 seconds, recording stops and then there's a reset time which may allow the person to be gone. Share a video here so we can see at least part of what happens.

ATC250R
Star
Star

I noticed the same.  I have my cameras set to record "Until Activity Stops", and I get video anywhere from 6-15 seconds that often stops BEFORE the activity stops.  Then of course, there is a lag before another video begins; by that time I have lost a significant gap of the activity.

flchris
Initiate
Initiate
I have the exact same problem.

This is clearly a software issue. The "record until activity stops" mode is useless and makes having these cameras at the amount of money they cost not worth it.

They simply need a user configurable value for the number of seconds without motion to stop recording. Whatever the static value is now, it is way, way too short. I get multiple, very small, usually around 10 seconds long, video recordings for each actual action event with gaps in action between them when the camera stopped recording and started recording again, not to mention a ton of redundant push alerts, one for each tiny video clip.

If, for instance, I could configure 30 seconds, or even more, of no motion to stop recording, and if motion is detected prior to the the expiration of the 30 second countdown, the "countdown for no motion to stop recording" clock starts over at the configured value, the Arlo Pro 2 would actually work well. We would get contiguous action clips for all events and a single notification.

Very unhappy Netgear.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation