Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 56 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
Ronin8793
Apprentice
Apprentice
My arlo pro 2 night vision is terrible. It records, but the video is so dark, it's useless. Is this typical?

The entire point of having cameras is to protect my property--esp at night. Is there any way to improve the video? Will lightening/brightness have any effect??
Thanks
56 REPLIES 56
meganfitz
Aspirant
Aspirant

that's not good news. Is yours as bad as mine? What's the point of even having them if they're so terrible at night? 

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I believe my issue is a position issue.. I took camera down and took into my walk in closet that is pitch black dark. Nightvision appears to work fine in there. So my question is, is my camera too high up ? How high can I put it ? I’m going to say it’s about 12 feet up under gutter pointing down to my patio. I know instructions say at least 7 feet off ground but why would 12 feet up wash the whole camera out?
Monkey_501
Guide
Guide

My camera is a good 15ft off the ground. image is ok

Capture.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@elykoj wrote:
Ok I believe my issue is a position issue.. I took camera down and took into my walk in closet that is pitch black dark. Nightvision appears to work fine in there. So my question is, is my camera too high up ? How high can I put it ? I’m going to say it’s about 12 feet up under gutter pointing down to my patio. I know instructions say at least 7 feet off ground but why would 12 feet up wash the whole camera out?

The 7 feet thing is basically to keep the camera out of reach of casual attempts to reach it. Don't forget that the wide angle lens causes objects to get smaller in the videos quickly as a function of the distance - keeping the camera closer to the action can provide more details.

However, the height doesn't affect the night vision other than 1) the IR LEDs only light up the subject just so far and 2) the higher it is would seem to increase the chance that the IR LEDs are reflecting off some nearby object. Post a daytime and nighttime screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

dilbert2019
Aspirant
Aspirant
Are the clear - transparent plastic screen protectors still covering the camera lenses?
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

I have an Arlo and  added an Arlo pro 2 thinking the night vision would be better,  I just ordered another pro 2 then realized the other ones night vision is good because it is under a lamp post light. I have already ordered another pro 2 and not sure if I should cancel as this one wil not be near any light source. We have the cameras due to recent vandals an ned to catch them. Will the company make the  night vision better with any updates or have I lost my money on buying the Arlo Pro 2s?  would love an answer before it is too late to cancel or return the Arlo 2 I just ordered. Retired on fixed income can not afford to buy all new ones. 😞

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can you send a snapshot of the night view??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 56 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation