Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Smackrc51
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have my garage camera above my Arlo light. The camera is pointed up higher to capture a wider range of video. When I set my light to start recording on my garage camera it turns off the motion detection on the camera ( symbol goes from black to gray) I want the garage camera to detect motion from further away . I want the light to kick on the garage camera along with the garage camera kicking on when it sees motion... I tried several things.. custom mode, resetting base station and bridge... still the same problem... any suggestions? Thanks ~kyle~

9 REPLIES 9
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Smackrc51 wrote:
I have my garage camera above my Arlo light. The camera is pointed up higher to capture a wider range of video. When I set my light to start recording on my garage camera it turns off the motion detection on the camera ( symbol goes from black to gray) I want the garage camera to detect motion from further away . I want the light to kick on the garage camera along with the garage camera kicking on when it sees motion... I tried several things.. custom mode, resetting base station and bridge... still the same problem... any suggestions? Thanks ~kyle~

I don’t have an Arlo light, but I wonder if it works similarly to cooperating cameras?  I can have a rule for a camera to detect motion and have this motion event trigger action on other cameras.  For example, if I detect motion on my driveway camera, I can record video on my driveway camera AND my garage camera.  I can also set up another rule for my garage camera to detect motion and act on it independently.  It seems extremely logical for Arlo to design the operation of the light in a similar manner (though I know logic doesn’t always win the day).  If I was designing that device functionality, I’d allow a rule for motion detection on the light and allow the addition of actions on other devices (cameras or lights) as a part of the rule for the light that is the main object of the rule.

Do you have a rule for each device...one for the light (which includes recording on the camera) and a separate rule for the camera to govern its behavior independently?

Smackrc51
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything you said is correct. If I make a rule such as having the light kick on the camera then neither will work. The camera will not record and the light will not kick on. My wife is a waitress and gets home late last night the light kicked on but the camera didn’t record. The night before the camera recorded and the light didn’t kick on!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Smackrc51 wrote:
Everything you said is correct. If I make a rule such as having the light kick on the camera then neither will work. The camera will not record and the light will not kick on. My wife is a waitress and gets home late last night the light kicked on but the camera didn’t record. The night before the camera recorded and the light didn’t kick on!

It sounds like you should submit a case if you have not already done so.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Smackrc51

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Frustrated101
Star
Star

@ShayneS wrote:

Hi @Smackrc51

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Just so you know the link to this page just opens a white blank screen with nothing you can do. I do feel it's symbolic of the support though....

Smackrc51
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks I contacted support not a whole lot of help going to try some things and see if I can figure it out.. they did say they would replace camera if I isolate the camera or recording at night. The odd thing is I got the camera to record at night 1 time a day ago and the light didn’t turn on smh! I got the light to kick on them the camera would record. What a mess. It also seems like if you go in and add a rule to a camera and or light it just messes thing up and they don’t work right... thanks for your help and replies. ~kyle ~
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Smackrc51

Make sure to report your findings with your case number to support and they will handle the situation accordingly.

Smackrc51
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Shane will do
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Smackrc51

You are welcome! Let us know if you have any further questions.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation