Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Purchase 7-11-2018

I have 4 cams. The battery usually last 5-6 months before I’ve had to charge. I’ve never had to charge more than one cam at a time.

ALL OF THE SUDDEN. 1-11-2019 all of my cameras die at the same time. I charge them... and they all die. Within 24 hours. Battery problem? No way... Not every single battery at the same time (2 cams inside, 2 cams outside.. opposite sides of the house one is 5 ft from base, one is 50 ft from base.) Update? Hasn’t been an update. HomeKit was linked since its been possible and there was no change in battery life, BUT as of yesterday I removed it and had no resolution. Batteries still die. 

I’m looking to see if anybody has had the same issue. I’m thinking arlo messed something up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

@stefanid ... Assuming all goes well, this thread will be considered resolved in 7 days. I suggest you open a thread and case# of your own. 

Summary of solution so far:

MY Arlo batteries couldn’t stand up to the cold. The two exterior cam batteries had died completely. The dying batteries resulted in a consistent 24hr drain/charge (repeat) for all 4 batteries. 

ARLO sends new batteries. I charge them to 100%. Insert into cams.

Issue seems to have been resolved. For indoor use. 

NEXT 7 DAYS the cams will be outside. I’m fairly certain the original issue has been resolved.

In short, get new batteries/have arlo send new batteries/use a different company. 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JaBbyJab

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this sudden battery drain? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Manufactures warranty is 12 months.

call support is only for the first 90 days.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JaBbyJab

Have you attempted to call customer support?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JaBbyJab

I have opened a case for you. Customer Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided the case number for your reference: 41412652

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JaBbyJab wrote:

Manufactures warranty is 12 months.

call support is only for the first 90 days.

Nope. You can call support for free after the warranty runs out.

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

“Phone support is included with any Arlo subscription, and free for the first 90 days after any Arlo purchase. Ready to chat? Let us know where you're calling from:“

Maybe they could update their website. 

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I received the confirmation email.

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: No solution as of yet. Arlo has decided to send a new base station with hopes of resolving the battery drain.

ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I now have exactly the same problem and no way can it be the batteries at fault !

I bought a two camera Pro 2 system back in Nov/Dec 2018. I bought a third camera in Dec 2019. Within the last 1-2 weeks, the batteries on all 3 cameras which I would add are normally left DEACTIVATED in the App, die within 3-4 days of charging to 100%. Previously it would take months for the batteries to die that fast.

I should add I normally activate my cameras, and position outside, when I go away on holiday. Normally therefore, the cameras are inside my home and kept DEACTIVATED. Why then should the batteries be discharging at all ?

There must be in my view, some sort of high current drain that has suddenly presented itself, but how to localise ?

Any advice anyone ?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ertriad

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ertriad

Still waiting on the replacement base station to arrive. No solution as of yet.
ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

None yet. Am currently recharging all 3 batteries. Once batteries are all at 100%, was then going to try:

1. ‘Disarming’ base station then reconnecting after say 1 week to then check on level of battery discharge
  2. ‘Removing’ each device then reconnecting say 1 week later to then check on level of battery discharge
  3. Removing batteries from all cameras, leaving for 1 week then plugging back into cameras to then check on level of battery discharge

Open to ideas !

Has there been any sort of automatic update/upgrade released to the base station and/or cameras within say the last 2 weeks ? Do they anyway automatically update/upgrade ?

I should add I have reported problem to Arlo Support - case number 41425883 (within which I referenced case number 41412652).

ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just thought of a better first step - will simply 'restart' the base station then check on rate of battery discharge !

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ertriad

"Just thought of a better first step - will simply 'restart' the base station then check on rate of battery discharge"

That is a good first step, another step if that doesn't help, would be removing the cameras form Settings > My Devices > Re-Add them. 

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ertriad
An update occurred for the base station Jan 2nd, 2020 (Arlo customer support rep informed me.)

Your case will more than likely result in Arlo sending you a new base station and a free battery. Like I said, I’m still waiting for my package to arrive... will update when it arrives.
ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

This looks worrying...

Help with Pro 2 camera support?

I haven't had a good trawl through this community website yet but it looks like this is problem is potentially widespread. Worrying remarks about effectiveness of ARLO support to !  

ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Restarted base station 2 days ago. So far all batteries (with all cameras DEACTIVATED) are holding their charge at 100%. Prior to the restart, the level would have dropped to between 50%-70% by now.

Early days yet, but it's looking like a software/firmware bug in the base station in my view ! 

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’d like to start out by saying thank you to Fitz! Customer support with my case has been smooth and direct.

UPDATE: 

I’ve received the refurbished base station and batteries. I also purchased an external battery charger from BestBuy to ensure the batteries charge. 

I used the external battery charger to charge all batteries and find out that the two batteries that were OUTSIDE were completely dead. (I live in AZ the temp is anywhere from 40 at night to 75 during the day during the winter)

-With all the usable batteries charged, I’ve placed them into the cameras and will be keeping them inside for the next week to document their power consumption. 

-Next week I’ll be putting the cameras back outside and document further.

So far the batteries have lasted 24hrs and are still at 100%

Next update will let you know how the batteries performed both inside and out. Hopefully, all goes well! Side note, I’ll be looking through the forum to see if anybody has had any issues with Arlo performance in the cold/outdoors.

stefanid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Used to hold charge for up to 3 months...now I'm recharging both camera units about every 2-3 days.  Are they 'dead' and need replacement or is there something I or Arlo can do?

JaBbyJab
Aspirant
Aspirant

@stefanid 

With Arlo customer support being so easy to work with I’d recommend opening a case and have them check out your hardware/software from their end... if they find an issue they will do what they can to rectify. AND/OR Buy a new pair of batteries. 

If the new batteries resolve the issue, great. If not, you already have a case open and have determined that the batteries are not the root of the problem.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @stefanid

When did this issue first occur? Have you changed the camera/base station location? 

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

stefanid
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not technically competent and haven't done anything more than what I have been doing all along... I 're boot' base station occasionally and connect camera into charger.  But the frequency of recharging has gone from about 2-3 months to 2-3 days.  

stefanid
Aspirant
Aspirant

And no, base station location has not changed...nothing has changed at all except the longevity of the charge.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@stefanid

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation