Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
fritzKU
Tutor
Tutor

Just upgraded subscription to use smart features, but cameras are still detecting and recording animals, even though I went in and turned off that option. What gives? Not worth it if it doesn't keep notifications you don't want away!

39 REPLIES 39
Fergin12
Guide
Guide

I have this issue also, it just doesn’t work as it is supposed to. I’ve invested lots in the arlo system both in time and money and generally love it, but not being able to filter out animals from persons is so annoying, if anyone finds a proper solution to this I’d love to know, to be honest a lot of what arlo support suggests just does not work. It’s not a deal breaker but over the last 6 or so years of owning various arlo devices I’ve found the arlo technical support to be very poor

Fergin

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fergin12 wrote:

but not being able to filter out animals from persons is so annoying, if anyone finds a proper solution to this I’d love to know, to be honest a lot of what arlo support suggests just does not work.

There's really nothing you can do when the classification is made incorrectly.

Are you saying that animals are classified as people?  Or are people being classified as animals???

Also, you are wanting to filter push notifications, or filter what you see in the library? (Note you cannot filter email notifications - no idea why).

Fergin12
Guide
Guide

Hi

push notifications which are correctly identified as animals, still come through as push notifications with animal detection turned off, so this normal?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fergin12 wrote:

push notifications which are correctly identified as animals, still come through as push notifications with animal detection turned off, so this normal?

No.  

kapmcmi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this issue as well.  Arlo software correctly identifies animal, and sends notification to iPhone with smart notification 'animal' turned off for all cameras.  We as a community of customers/users who have invested in this product need more from Arlo than an answer along the lines of "It shouldn't do that."  We made a purchase decision based on the capabilities and features of this product, and it is up to Arlo engineers to identify why the product is not performing to specification, and fix it with a software/firmware update. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to support for further assistance. You get that by going in the support area of the app (not my.arlo.com), and selecting a camera in a subscription plan. Scroll down to the contact section, and you will see an option for phone support. It is available between 6 am and 6 pm US pacific time.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fritzKU wrote:

Just upgraded subscription to use smart features, but cameras are still detecting and recording animals, even though I went in and turned off that option. What gives? Not worth it if it doesn't keep notifications you don't want away!

The smart notifications are just that.  If you turn off animal notifications, then you will still get animal recordings in the library/feed.  But you shouldn't be getting notifications when those detections happen.

You can additionally filter out animals (or any other notification type) when you browse the library/feed.  They are still in the library though.

FWIW, while I do understand why people want to also supress recordings, IMO the accuracy isn't high enough to do that.  Plus there are some corner cases - for instance, if you want vehicles but not animals, then a recording that includes both will still only get one label - either animal or vehicle.  If the system chooses animal, you'd end up missing a recording that you actually wanted.

retitamas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear All,

Yes, the exact situation is the same here (Pro 5). And setting the animal notifications off in smart notifications section is understood, but I do not want a feed either, because it will drain the battery (minus 6%/night, cat movement with led light of course). The detection is OK, recognized as animal and I "understood" this feature because of the subscription but IT really against the battery life...Arlo support and development is reading these threads? ...

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The only way to minimise unwanted triggers is to either relocate the camera further away from the triggering location, or reduce the trigger sensitivity in the camera rules.

Externally powering the camera with Continuous power will address the battery life concerns.

retitamas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Concerning trigger sensitivity, if I reduce it, all kind of motion detection will be affected...A cat is could be anywhere. 🙂

And the total wireless was my first reason choosing Arlo, but thank you anyway.

(ps: I miss masking also (GDPR), the zone aera definiton is good bit when a trigger occurs, the *entire* camera view will be recorded...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@retitamas wrote:

Concerning trigger sensitivity, if I reduce it, all kind of motion detection will be affected...

Correct.  But that is unavoidable.  The camera has to trigger and capture video before the scene can be analyzed.  That is what creates the power drain.

@retitamas wrote:

(ps: I miss masking also (GDPR), the zone aera definiton is good bit when a trigger occurs, the *entire* 

Arlo apparently has announced a masking feature in Europe, but I haven't seen much details.

retitamas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, great news...maybe on next firmware and app update?

The video screen zoom function could do that but you can define only rectangular shapes...  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@retitamas wrote:

Oh, great news...maybe on next firmware and app update?

All I've seen is this:

The link was posted by another user.

retitamas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

And where can I find this greying function on Arlo Pro 5 please?

disappointed24
Tutor
Tutor
You are NOT alone...I have these set up for family and friends...these are absolutely WORTHLESS now...I have myself went through hours of troubleshooting...additional hours on the phone w/ inept support. I have one friend that we have turned off animals and audio...he still gets 2500-5000 alerts a day from his dogs...his neighbors dogs, birds. I too get up to 2500 a day animal and audio...everything adjusted...full batteries hooked up to solar panels on all...drained w/in a day or two. I detest arlo now!!! This is on all 6 of our group that I know of.
Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation