Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Jetski44
Tutor
Tutor
I have the Arlo Pro2 supposedlyvwith 1080P resolution but have grainy pics.

Is there any tweaks that can be done to justify the price paid fir the poor quality?
12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post screenshots. What is your ISP upload speed? What do the WiFi indicators show for the signal strength? Is this for one camera or multiple?

mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the same problem with my Arlo Pro 2. This is my first Arlo and was expecting much better quality as 1080p but it looks more like scaled up 720p image rather than real 1080p. My Ring doorbell that is 720p has better quality. Wireless signal is full, battery all charged and my internet connection is Fios 100Mbpss.
mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are sample photo and video. Video quality is set to "Best video" and as I said signal is full and I use local storage option as well. The photo using screenshot feature of the app (and Arlo web) is 720p but video saves as 1080p however quality of both looks like 720p. I wonder if Netgear just upscales image to 1080p and calls it new product?

1508429102987.jpg

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

mattsrs wrote:

I wonder if Netgear just upscales image to 1080p and calls it new product?

It's possible.. An upgraded firmware from 720p to 1080p with added features and sell for more $.. 

meier3283
Guide
Guide

I've been wondering about this as well.  If you save the video to disk, and view the properties (I used VLC)  It shows 1920x1072.  Perhaps it's the fish eey lens that makes it seem like less resolution?  Not sure.  Was hoping for better.

Jetski44
Tutor
Tutor
I took the ARLO PRO 2 back to the store for a full refund

The ARLO Pro has the same video quality at a couple hundred $$ less

Plus there was the comments that the Pro 2 wasn’t really 1080P video, rather just upscaled 720 which tends to justify the lower than expected video quality

No more inputs needed on this string

Thank you all
archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Pro definitely doesn't have the same quality. Here's my comparison of 1 vs 2:

https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/920785213730340869.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xsjsSC75pLylNkj52

MrCluck
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the video/still comparison. It is very telling of the two models...........I would like the software flash (1080 compressed)for free to upgraded my Pro to Pro2. Oh well, It's the way tech works, $$$.
rsrb4him
Tutor
Tutor

The question here is:  Is this camera truely 1080P? My wifi is 50mbps with cameras within a 40 foot range.  

Jetski44
Tutor
Tutor
The general consensus is the 1080p is upscaled 720p video not truly a 1080p camera.

I returned the1080p and got the720 version and saved ~$150.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would disagree that it's just an upscaled 720p. It's noticeably clearer than the P1 cameras but we have to realize that the compression used may confuse the eye. I wish there were adjustable compression levels along with resolution settings but that doesn't appear to be in the offing.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I also struggled to see much difference just by looking at the videos but then did a side by side test in my driveway and the distance at which a car licence plate can be resolved is significantly more with the Pro 2 than the Pro. If you use the zoom function to go to 8x zoom while playing the video, you'll definitely see the difference.

The video compression and the Pro 2 wider FOV definitely make the resolution increase less noticeable

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation