Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2: usability with less than 1Mbps upload speed

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
FrankSheppard
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am considering purchasing an Arlo Pro 2 2-camera system, but since I live in a rural area, the best upload speed I can get is .65 Mbps. Will the system still work and if so, what issues may I run across?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I don’t know the actual answer for Arlo, but I can say that I have two NestCam cameras on a DSL circuit which provides about 1 Mbps and they work.  NestCams record continuously, so each of those cameras is a pretty heavy load on that uplink.  If you are only using Arlo for motion recording and not for continuous video recording, I would “think” you could get by on .65 Mbps with a small Arlo system.  It would depend on the differences in implementation between Arlo and NestCam, of course.  However, it would seem that Arlo would need to have a ton of overhead traffic or really fat motion recordings with poor buffering, to equal the same bandwidth consumption as a continuous video recording from a NestCam.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In all honesty, the min upload speed is recommended at 1 Mbs for Pro cameras... I could see issues happening

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I don’t know the actual answer for Arlo, but I can say that I have two NestCam cameras on a DSL circuit which provides about 1 Mbps and they work.  NestCams record continuously, so each of those cameras is a pretty heavy load on that uplink.  If you are only using Arlo for motion recording and not for continuous video recording, I would “think” you could get by on .65 Mbps with a small Arlo system.  It would depend on the differences in implementation between Arlo and NestCam, of course.  However, it would seem that Arlo would need to have a ton of overhead traffic or really fat motion recordings with poor buffering, to equal the same bandwidth consumption as a continuous video recording from a NestCam.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also change the video resolution to Optimized or Best Battery life to minimize the size of the videos so the upload speed would be less of an issue.

FrankSheppard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you to all who replied. Since my plan is to only use 1 camera at a time (it's going to be a critter cam), I went ahead and purchased a two-camera system. While the connection isn't perfect smooth all the time, the low upload speed is quite adequate for single-camera use so far. Now, the -24 degree Celsius cold spell, on the other hand, doesn't make the system happy! 😞

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @FrankSheppard,

Do know that the minimum operating temperature for the Arlo Pro 2 is -4°F (-20°C). You can read more about it here: How do I keep my Arlo batteries charged in cold weather?

FrankSheppard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, but thank you for the reminder! I just hadn't performed the F to C conversion.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation