Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 security system. Theives can disable system for a period of time

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Woodro
Guide
Guide

My camera's were up and running and some theif was able to point something at the camera's and disable it for a period of time.  Enouth time to break in to my vehicle and rummage through it with out detection.  Showed him come up to vehicle look at my camera and point something.  The other camera that was turned on froze at same time he disabled other camera.  Contacted Arlo support but they don't have a clue and don't have the ability to share your video with them so they can see and understand the problem.

30 REPLIES 30
Woodro
Guide
Guide

Excellent signal strength.  Pretty close to the router.  Normally the Cameras work flawlessly.  This is the first time with any issues.

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

My vote would be for Arlo's legendary habit of seeming to be working great, then randomly failing to perform when you most wanted it to work.

The WiFi jammer theory also seems somewhat consistent with this sort of failure, but doesn't seem consistent with the thief's behaviour. A thief carrying one around for the purpose of defeating wireless cameras would probably be familiar enough with Arlo to know he'd already been detected and a notification might've gone out, whereas this thief seemed rather nonplused if he even noticed the IR illuminator at all. The former would also know how easy these cameras are to steal and how easy they sell, so perhaps be thankful it wasn't that type of thief and your cameras were still there in the morning.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know that thieves are walking around with WiFi jammers at all. Devices to override car security, yes.

Heavenisreal2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm also having problems with someone turning off my cameras and deleting all recordings. Somehow??? I've seen a person while standing talking to me he is playing with what looked like a flip phone. Not one recording came through for the whole 10 minutes I was with the person. How do I make it more secure is my question.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's unlikely your cameras are being disabled and videos disabled but if you're convinced, change your password on your account.

As for the missing video while talking to someone, motion has to be detected. Distance plays a part (25 feet max) as well as the motion sensitivity set in your modes and rules. Small motions may well not be detected but walking around would be.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Heavenisreal2 wrote:
I'm also having problems with someone turning off my cameras and deleting all recordings. Somehow??? I've seen a person while standing talking to me he is playing with what looked like a flip phone. Not one recording came through for the whole 10 minutes I was with the person. How do I make it more secure is my question.

Agree, it's unlikely someone who is standing in front of you talking to you is turning off your cameras and at the same time deleting videos, that would take some eyes on a screen, you would notice. 

Did you initally see the video recordings there then later they were gone? Or are you saying there are no recordings at all of you talking to the fellow? I've noticed the Pro 2 cameras stop recording when motion stops. I have lots of video of me walking up to the car. But if I'm standing by the car not moving, there is no video recorded. In my case it's not like someone erased the video, there wasn't enough motion to trigger a recording in the first place. If I move really soon after the first movement, then my walking away from the car doesn't get recorded. I think the camera is still busy sending the first video to the base station. 

Do a test, walk up to and in front of the camera. Stop, don't move for a few minutes. See if there is video of you standing there. Find out what your camera and systems record and under what circumstances. I have video of my garage door opening but no video of me driving off in the car. I suspect that's lag in camera sending the first videos and the camera is not available to record me driving off. It's not somebody selecting deleting all videos of me driving off.

If you want continuous recording, you need a paid subscription and AC powered cameras or a CTV system recording to a hard drive on the premises. 

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation