Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 push to talk is not working

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jess123456
Aspirant
Aspirant

Push to talk will only work when my phone is on the same wifi as the camera. It used to work no matter where I was (work wifi, 3G/4G/5G). 

Any fixes that don't require fully taking apart the whole system? 

Or better yet - can someone recommend a camera system that actually works and supplies support. Arlo has changed and changed again since I purchased and now does all the things I specifically purchased them for because they didn't do these things at time of purchase. 

6 REPLIES 6
Dannybear
Master
Master
I just checked this with a pro2 camera and found it to be functional on wifi and cellular data.

Check if the app has permissions set in the phone’s settings to use cellular data, may need toggling to make it update.

Also have you tried deleting and reinstall the app?
jess123456
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks 🙂 yep it has correct permissions. 
everything works wifi & cell except push to talk function - it just sticks on connecting forever.
It has been handy in the past stopping people entering my home when not there, and stopping the dogs from barking when I'm not there. It's almost more stressful being able to see people there and not communicate than come home later and not know they were there. 

For instance right now Im in the office and I can see my sister taking my dog food for her dog XD but can't shout at her for it! 

I will try deleting and installing the app again with fingers crossed for it to work. 

jess123456
Aspirant
Aspirant

update: deleting and redownloading the app has not worked. 

still all functions except push to talk work on both cameras. 

push to talk just sits forever 'connecting'. very annoying. 

I'll have to take the whole system down this weekend and try resetting the cameras. I dont know what could have happened between now and the last time I used it. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
Try rebooting your phone.

Some other suggestions are to try installing the app on another phone if you have access to one.

Power cycle the modem router. Wait for internet comes back then power cycle the base station again.

It’s always possible that the isp provider is blocking something or the cellular provider. Try using the arlo web portal my.arlo.com with a pc browser to see if it works, then try the same away from your local network.
jess123456
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: 25/10/2022

Push to talk still doesn't work. 

cameras and hub have been taken down, pulled apart (battery removed), app removed, unplugged and all reset back up many times. Failures continue, and increase. 

I wouldn't recommend arlo to anyone today as I did when first purchased. Fails far too often, and far too quickly. 

Prior attempts with Official support has either been useless (i think it took 3 months to solve a simple scheduling bug) or flat out rude.
They basically said at the time that the cameras I purchased (about 6 months prior from the store) were ancient, so of course they wouldn't work - if I wanted a working product, go buy a new set.
If a product isn't expected to last 6 months it isn't worth the money. If the stores are selling out of date products recall them. They certainly weren't on sale and no 'newer' options were available at the time. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

I’m not surprised anymore, the pro2 are a work horse for me since purchased in 2018. Admit the firmware is  buggy prone but that’s arlo’s fault, the hardware has been rock solid, still using the original batteries with no sign of reduced performance, they just keep going.

The excuse given doesn’t stack up, go look for another brand 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation