Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jamestylin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there, 

I own a Arlo baby and a few Arlo Pro 2s, just want to see if anyone knows how Arlo Pro 2 detect motion when plugged in.

From an article here (https://kb.arlo.com/583/How-does-the-motion-detection-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-cameras), 

I understand Arlo Baby analyze changes in video frames to detect motion and, on the other hand, Arlo Pro 2 detects an object that is warmer than the surrounding environment.

My Arlo Pro 2 (currently battery powered) sometimes doesn't detect motion until a person is already at the door, but it would be more helpful if I can see where he came from and what he did before standing at my door. When Arlo Pro 2 is plugged in, does it start analyzing the frames in the video? If so, I think it can catch the motion once there is something going on on the screen?

Is this something that can be done via a firmware update? Please consider this and it will be much more helpful. I would love to purchase Arlo Smart and get CVR 24/7, but it's not available in my country...

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

The "Zone" detection is more effective in noisey areas, by noisey I mean lots of junk movement such as vegitation, cars going by. You can pick large or small areas that are cleaner and pick up the movement but avoid trashy noisey areas around your clean zone. It picks up movement only in that zone or zones (up to 3 zones). Also yes it picks up better since it is on constant since it is plugged in and not worried about running down battery. Also in places like where I live it is more effective in warm/Hot weather season as IR is less effectice close to body temp

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

When I tried the zones out I found if you add 3 zones the systems motion detection failed. Remove one zone so you have 2 and detection issue was resolved but I found it still picked up cars that were outside the zone no mater what I tried. 

Removing the zones and adjusting motion seems to have sorted out the false issues.

ive also found the battery side of running does not buffer enough to catch the movement before detection where as when I power the camera the buffer is better. 

I also use a dashcam in park mode running off an external battery and that has better buffer ability and this too is connected to my Wi-Fi so with that and Arlo I can catch enough info but I’m finding Arlo a bit hit or miss at times. 

Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

Play with the cams, location, angle, settings, also add Spotlights to fill in detection areas. we've caught the 3 seperate incidents of little darlings in neighbor hood. Sheriff and Shool Resourse Officer's loved the video's, been real peacefull  for a long time now. Plus fun watching the critters that come thru at night, Bob Cats, Yote's, Javalina's and such

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

@Xichlo wrote:

Play with the cams, location, angle, settings, also add Spotlights to fill in detection areas. we've caught the 3 seperate incidents of little darlings in neighbor hood. Sheriff and Shool Resourse Officer's loved the video's, been real peacefull  for a long time now. Plus fun watching the critters that come thru at night, Bob Cats, Yote's, Javalina's and such

My problem is I’m opposite a school and the drive for my van is about 20ft long with one wall to mount. I’ve had to place camera where I can angle the view as I found it failed to detect motion from a straight on view ie I could drive on and off the drive with no detection. Now it’s angled and the van is more side on its working fine but if I add zones it starts to register  vehicles going pass. I had 424 events the other day which half killed the battery for example and I had turned down motion to 3 with zones and it still managed to pick up a fair few cars passing by.

i removed the zones and I’ve upped the motion detection to 48 and it’s fine, just the large old lorries get picked up now and again.

The area is well lit up with lights as well at night. 

Now ive got the positioning correct it’s fine, it’s protecting the van. 

Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

Can you make the Zone/Zones smaller? It doesn't have to be big to detect motion, as you already noted side angle is more dramatic at picking up. Add a Spotlight or two, helps light up things at night but also adds motion detection opertunities day and night to trigger your cams and other lights. You step on our property anywhere and two sometimes three cams and one or more spotlights will trigger. All three incidents had perfect video of events and recognition features that Sheriff knew them instantly. We sleep well at night and enjoy trips away knowing I will know if anyone messes around! Arlo has Hiccups occasionaly, but but self monitering is the way to go, I used to beat the PD to my wifes Gun Store that had one of the big alarm companies, they call you to confirm and ask a bunch of questions before calling PD, then a 20 miute to hour and half wait for them to show up. Wish we'd had Arlo back then!

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

The zones sadly catch the road when you create them to cover the van which is a problem. I’ll have to pop a photo up at some point.

Ive also a nice home alarm system which looks after the property but my van was a weak point as I need it protected where as the house has more professional system serviced by a local company each year.

Only a single cam required, it’s a small property over here in the U.K. 

Arlo seems to do the job, Wi-Fi is a bit of a weak spot but I’m fairly sure no ones walking around with a NodeMCU just to get into my van. It’s the have a go burglar I want to stop. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

AC power should improve the detection. but you'd need to try it and see.

You should also read the positioning tips here: https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

The pro-2 is designed so it is more sensitive with side-to-side motion.  Picking the camera position with that in mind can help a lot.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation