Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

I am upgrading to a 6 camera Arlo Pro 2 system from an old Swann DVR camera system.  The Swann system uses barrel style connectors to power the cameras.  I plan on removing the power supply from the Swann and replacing with the appropriate voltage and current necessary for the Arlo Pro 2's micro-USB (I'm guessing around 5v@<.5A).  

Does anyone have recommendation for a barrel to micro-USB adapter for the power?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not worth the time, effort and cost. The Pro cameras come with chargers the supply 5v at ~2A and 9v at ~1.5A.

willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

Not worth the time, effort and cost. The Pro cameras come with chargers the supply 5v at ~2A and 9v at ~1.5A.

My Pro 2 camera system had one charger for 4 cameras.  I also have 4 existing camera locations with mounts and wires strung two stories high.  I think climbing a two story ladder at 4 points of my house would get old even if I only did it quarterly.  I'd much rather do it right and never climb the ladder after install.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The problem at this time for you is the USB cable/charger for the camera is NOT outdoor rated.

Yes you can always use some silicon sealant to make it water tight ( if not worried about warranty ) but the 5v usb will run the cam, BUT NOT charge the battery . So if you do go at 5v, you may as well leave the battery packs out.

( the cams use a qualcomm type charger with 5 and 9 v , 5 to run, 9v to charge the battery )

The out door power adapter has been recalled and Netgear will prob release a newer version soon , that will fix your issue.

PS; the adapter puts out 1.8a @ 5v tho it will prob run fine at 1a

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for all the information.  This is going to be more complex than I thought.  It's not practical to put the Qualcom charging circuitry near the cam, since I'd have to run 120v through wires too thin for the current.  I suppose I could crack open a Qualcom USB wall charger and measure after the transformer, prior to the charging circuitry then supply that through the lines.  If I went through that pain, I'd still have to split open 4 chargers, splice into the circuitry and waterproof them.  I am ruling that engineering out, now.  My options seem to be:

1. Run off batteries and climb ladders to charge them.
  2. Run off batteries and find a barrel to micro-USB adapter and supply the 9v only when necessary to charge.
  3. Run off 5v directly, without batteries using barrel to micro-USB adapter
  4. Buy solar chargers for the cameras (which would keep the cams in warranty).

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

willgilliland wrote:

".................Buy solar chargers for the cameras (which would keep the cams in warranty).

Solar chargers won’t give you equivalent to a/c power needed by AP2 to take advantage of all of its features. From what I understand it would give you same as battery power supply, so no CVR, no 3 secs. look back and no activity zones. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Exactly. The solar panels are only to keep the battery topped up since they can't deliver the current needed to operate the camera. And then there's the nighttime issue where they don't work at all...

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation